• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 2024 Discussion

No freezes for the immediate future…could be one of the earliest, if not THE earliest, last freezes in record around here if that doesn’t change.
We got 6 weeks until the average last frost/freeze here. We will see several more. Below freezing this morning.

GFS says we gonna be hunting Easter eggs in the snow and multi day frost last week of March. Id advise folks waiting on the warm to come in and stay, not to look at

Last edited:
We got 6 weeks until the average last frost/freeze here. We will see several more. Below freezing this morning.

GFS says we gonna be hunting Easter eggs in the snow and multi day frost last week of March. Id advise folks waiting on the warm to come in and stay, not to look at
Yep, we get these "is this the last frost/freeze this early?" every year it seems but they are always way off. Many tend to forget, mid 60s for highs with dry air in place and light winds will still yield frost/freezing mornings easily. Models are horrendous with overnight low projections...... always

Every year we get some on here wondering in mid March if we’ve seen our last freeze and every year it’s not… even in mild winters like this one. Most of us still have 4-6 weeks left before the average last freeze. A lot of folks forget that a sunny and dry 65-70 degree day in late March and early April will often cool to a 30 degree low that night

Yep, we get these "is this the last frost/freeze this early?" every year it seems but they are always way off. Many tend to forget, mid 60s for highs with dry air in place and light winds will still yield frost/freezing mornings easily. Models are horrendous with overnight low projections...... always
Generally this is true, but if I remember right in 2020 our last freeze at RDU was March 8th. And then in 2021 we had a couple freezes in late April, so you never know.

RDU bottomed out in the mid-30s, so 2/21 is still our last freeze and the 7-day forecast doesn’t look promising to change that. I do put our odds at well over 50/50 that we see another freeze before spring, to be clear, but it is notable.

The average last freeze around here is around 3/31, if I recall correctly.

Especially in the hinterlands where you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally this is true, but if I remember right in 2020 our last freeze at RDU was March 8th. And then in 2021 we had a couple freezes in late April, so you never know.

RDU bottomed out in the mid-30s, so 2/21 is still our last freeze and the 7-day forecast doesn’t look promising to change that. I do put our odds at well over 50/50 that we see another freeze before spring, to be clear, but it is notable.

Well if your going strictly off that sensor you could be right

Well if your going strictly off that sensor you could be right
Agreed. Hard to see how most non urban locations don't drop below freezing some over the next 2-3 weeks but record lows are starting to creep up so lows we'll into the 20s are going to get harder and harder

Last edited:

CLT had its last freeze on 4/11 in 2020 which is about right on the average last date of 4/10. It looks like RDU got down to 33 that morning so it’s fair to say a good number of folks in the area got below freezing… both locations previous freeze before that one was 3/8. It is surprising that RDU’s average last freeze is 3/31. CLT’s is 4/10 and I think GSO is 4/16

6 weeks? Your average last frost freeze is May? I think you meant 3-4

6 weeks? Your average last frost freeze is May? I think you meant 3-4
April 20. And we have had temps dip into the 20's in May here. Past decade its happened, cant remember exact year, wrecked my garden that year.

Back