• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe March 1st Severe Weather Threat

FFC mentioning strong Thunderstorms and Tornado potential for Wednesday night in NW Georgia and parts of Central GA. and 3 day outlook shows enhanced areas in SE not bad for a Feb situation.
day3otlk_0830.gif

day1otlk_1200.gif

The new Day 1 Outlook has a much larger Enhanced Risk area, now including much of Indiana. SPC noted a few strong tornadoes are possible in Arkansas, Missouri, and Illinois.

Not liking the looks of the NAM, as it shows several nasty looking cells and 1000+ CAPE into North Georgia and only gets worse back west into Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee. Looks like some tornadoes are definitely becoming likely.

When do you think the biggest threat for middle Tennessee is for those cells

I am a teacher in Northwest Georgia (Dalton area) and I was wondering what you guys think the timeline is going to be for strong storms tomorrow (Wednesday). I am a little worried about the buses getting home before the storms. Also, does it seem like Northwest Georgia may get only severe storms or are tornadoes possible as well? Thanks!

I am a teacher in Northwest Georgia (Dalton area) and I was wondering what you guys think the timeline is going to be for strong storms tomorrow (Wednesday). I am a little worried about the buses getting home before the storms. Also, does it seem like Northwest Georgia may get only severe storms or are tornadoes possible as well? Thanks!

It's going to be close, mid-late afternoon seems like a pretty good bet... We'll probably know more precise timing by tomorrow once we actually have a fully developed squall line

It's worth re-iterating here that this is primarily an overnight threat for the ozarks, IN, western KY, etc. because its liable to take a really long time for the convection to overcome the capping inversion enhanced by all of the upper level descent/sinking in the right exit region of a powerful 150+ knot jet streak in the southern plains.

I personally do not like severe season (beacuse of the death and destruction it can bring to us or our neighbors) but think this one could be a lot like this past winter, very underwhelming for those in the SE. Because of the inabilty of the cold to move out of the West for the most part this Winter, it is likely to continue (persistence wins out again) through Spring and early Summer, giving us much above normal and stable temps leading to less cyclogenesis. The one exception I see as being likely would be the Western Tn, Ky, and western deep south (the biggest focus IMO will be the lower midwest and westward). I am not saying there won't be some potentially severe storms here, but just not to an abnomally higher than average level. That would be just fine with me too

Looking at the NAMs today it confirms my thoughts that the highest concentration/best tornado threat might be in Missouri and Illinois while down toward Ark it might be 1 or 2 isolated supercells rolling across the state

Since it was the cool thing to do on twitter this morning
c0fab9b53d551599e5f86da22cd915b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Via Randy Bowers, sounding from Little Rock, AR vs HRRR forecast for 18z... You can clearly see the HRRR is way too moist, & thus has too much CAPE, and the inversion aloft is much stronger than forecast. While they are not in the sweet spot for this storm, they're upstream of the airmass that's being advected into the MDT risk area and this sounding is important to see how high resolution models are handling the overall environment here. Thus far, looks lackluster...

Screen-Shot-2017-02-28-at-2.43.09-PM-1024x775.png

Back