• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe March 1st Severe Weather Threat

7846ca79fd5b399de2efca8b179b1fd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing says winter like a severe weather outbreak in February:(

I think that wind and hail will be the two big items to watch for. The tornado risk decreases through the day on Wednesday as the low pulls toward the Great Lakes and takes the energy with it, so I don't expect to see any big tornado outbreak this time.

Yeah, wind seems to be the biggest threat for most in GA, SC, NC.

The threat for severe weather tomorrow across the mid-Mississippi Valley will likely be primarily after dark, the capping inversion bolstered by descent induced by the right exit region of an adjacent upper level jet streak may stifle convection until late in the evening or overnight, hence people should remain alert for nocturnal tornadoes and severe weather and do not sleep on this event (no pun intended) even if we don't have any convection yet by very late tomorrow afternoon and evening...

The threat for severe weather tomorrow across the mid-Mississippi Valley will likely be primarily after dark, the capping inversion bolstered by descent induced by the right exit region of an adjacent upper level jet streak may stifle convection until late in the evening or overnight, hence people should remain alert for nocturnal tornadoes and severe weather and do not sleep on this event (no pun intended) even if we don't have any convection yet by very late tomorrow afternoon and evening...

If only this jet streak bisecting the central US was further south over the Gulf coast, lol, we'd probably have a big tornado outbreak w/ a moderate or even a high risk of severe weather tomorrow and possibly even Wed. Oh well...

Lol, this is insane and I'm not sure how much I by this but wow.... SRH of 1200, 850mb winds of 85 KTS on the 4km NAM in the midst of a massive MCS that develops over northeastern and eastern IA.
Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 6.22.33 PM.png

Lmao check out at that MCV over Davenport
refcmp_ptype.us_mw.png

Lol, this is insane and I'm not sure how much I by this but wow.... SRH of 1200, 850mb winds of 85 KTS on the 4km NAM in the midst of a massive MCS that develops over northeastern and eastern IA.
View attachment 271

Lmao check out at that MCV over Davenport
View attachment 272
The upper mid-west can be a bear in the spring .... maybe that's why Iowa has so few trees and mostly cornfields ...

If only this jet streak bisecting the central US was further south over the Gulf coast, lol, we'd probably have a big tornado outbreak w/ a moderate or even a high risk of severe weather tomorrow and possibly even Wed. Oh well...
maybe latter in the spring we can get a very good setup... but im ready and watching for tomorrow night for my area midsouth general...

Webber, don't the CAPE values have to be at least 2000+ for severe thunderstorms? What about the jet? At least 120+ kts for tornadoes? I think the most concern for severe weather with this threat will be high winds, cloud to ground lightning and hail with some tornadoes within cells before the main line.

Webber, don't the CAPE values have to be at least 2000+ for severe thunderstorms? What about the jet? At least 120+ kts for tornadoes? I think the most concern for severe weather with this threat will be high winds, cloud to ground lightning and hail with some tornadoes within cells before the main line.

You can get severe thunderstorms w/ almost no CAPE (as evidenced by Iowa earlier this year), and little-no shear (strong summertime thunderstorms), although both of these ingredients in copious quantities can synergistically add to the impact of the severe t'storms

I guess I am back on board the severe potential for this area again.....
Wind potential much? 60kt at 850 and the potential for evaporation below 850...
nam4km_2017022718_057_35_75_78_6.png

Back