• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 18-19th Possible Severe Wx Outbreak

Sun has been pocking through the clouds here as well. I didn’t expect that today. I don’t know how that translates into tomorrow or if it makes any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun has been pocking through the clouds here as well. I didn’t expect that today. I don’t know how that translates into tomorrow or if it makes any difference.

I always wondered about small stuff like that, for example getting warmer than the forecast day before a snowstorm. How does it translate?

I always wondered about small stuff like that, for example getting warmer than the forecast day before a snowstorm. How does it translate?

FAILURE for snow. Of course we seem to do just fine when it comes to severe weather.

GSP discussion. As they say, timing is everything, especially for the areas further west
Pre-frontal convective band will likely begin overspreading the NC
mountains circa 12Z Thursday. Buoyancy is forecast to be quite
limited during this time, but there may well be a severe downburst
threat during this time, depending upon the strength of the cold
pool produced in the stronger CAPE environment upstream. A consensus
of model guidance continues to depict weakening of low level forcing
over the mountains as the terrain disrupts low level flow patterns.
However, mid and upper levels will remain strongly forced. If
anything, this scenario may yield more of a broken convective band,
with embedded discrete cellular modes...which is kind of hinted at
in the latest convection-allowing models. Low level shear
parameters, including storm relative helicity will be quite
impressive, so the magnitude of the severe threat will hinge largely
upon the amount of instability that is realized...which will be
largely dictated by timing of convection with respect to the diurnal
heating cycle. Considering the expected timing of convection
sweeping across the western half of the area 12-15Z, and the eastern
half 15-18Z, the eastern third or so of the forecast area is
expected to see the greatest threat of severe storms, as reflected
in the Moderate Risk from the Day 2 SPC Convective Outlook. All
modes of severe weather will be possible, especially in and near the
Moderate Risk area, with a strong tornado or two possible in
association with supercellular storm structures. Again, timing will
be (almost) everything: earlier timing will likely result in a
diminished threat, later timing would likely yield a significant
severe thunderstorm outbreak for our area.

I’m not to concerned north of 85 in upstate sc NE Georgia western nc. But I do think the midlands of sc will have some dangerous tornadoes tomorrow

GA stuff in this one or the other thread? The 18z hrr makes me think I wont be getting much sleep tonight.

hrrr_ref_frzn_seus_10.png

hrrr_ref_frzn_seus_12.png

I don’t know if it’s the way the media is communicating or if people just aren’t understanding what is being said, but there is a lot of freak out concerning “level 4” storms/tornadoes in NC tomorrow. It may be a combination of both.

I don’t know if it’s the way the media is communicating or if people just aren’t understanding what is being said, but there is a lot of freak out concerning “level 4” storms/tornadoes in NC tomorrow. It may be a combination of both.

What do you mean they aren't understanding?

level 4 is the new polar vortex or bomb cyclone........its how the media is referring to a Mod risk......

Back