• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe March 13-15 Central Upper South Severe Threat

5ee4312236f61c54a1c2bc9cf47541ab.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Interesting soundings, this is from central Tennessee, this supports low topped supercells/hslc storms, very steep llvl lapses and very large 3CAPE, large helicity, ok curved hodo, sfc dews are a little dry but it’s enough, this one should be interesting 78F8E3C1-0C8E-4DCD-B1E1-A90368B32C87.png

Interesting soundings, this is from central Tennessee, this supports low topped supercells/hslc storms, very steep llvl lapses and very large 3CAPE, large helicity, ok curved hodo, sfc dews are a little dry but it’s enough, this one should be interesting View attachment 17618

Can someone point me in the direction of a resource to learn how to read this graphic? It looks like a TREMENDOUS amount of data and I would like to better understand it. I recognize some things, but not all.

Thank you.

Concerning sounding from northern TN/KY border, again this screams low topped convection, with large hail and some tornadoes, with low top convection you can have a little bit less of things due to a smaller updraft but we still got lots lots of wind energy anyways, note that very large 3CAPE, would allow for explosive initial updraft growth, along with steep low level lapse rates, and decently steep mid level lapses, based of LCL cloud bases would be decently low, one thing tho is that sfc dews are pretty low, typically tornadoes like 65+ dews but tornadoes can definitely still happen with dews lower than that, hodo is very large and decently curved, looks like there is a little vb in there, and maybe it has a bit of a look that says some linear convection
A780E7F2-82C3-4CF5-BD10-A34B9925952B.png6B687F58-470D-4A0F-9978-B96CE9FCFDD8.jpeg

How's the threat looking nws Huntsville not too concerned says dynamics not lining up

Probably a slight risk type day. Nothing crazy, but stay weather aware for sure.

I honestly think this day has more potential, this setup lacks junk or crapvection atm, low topped supercells can be as bad as there taller counterparts, in fact low topped supercells does not need as much instability or shear as a taller one would, with this sounding there is very steep low level lapse rates along with strong 3CAPE, decent mid level lapses and a decent dew point although like I said it’s a little low, strong veering winds, good amounts of helicity, dry air aloft along with DCAPE to aid in strong downdrafts, in my opinion this could be worse than last system, storms last system struggled with low sfc based cape/CIN and relying on more MUcape allowing them to be a little more elevated in nature, this is a sounding from southern Missouri, btw this was the 18z 79257F26-B9DE-46CC-B2F6-957AC4F0AC23.png
C2D6100F-F28D-4372-9DB7-8D138C440899.jpeg

When we roll into april... instability wont be a problem for these systems ... we should start tapping moisture from the Caribbean origin....

Agree, Also, new NAM took the threat south aswell, and yeah I feel like we’ll get that cool down mid-late March then unfortunately pick back up on severe wx

Attachments

• 455F1599-9236-42C2-819D-83AD902B5B13.png
    455F1599-9236-42C2-819D-83AD902B5B13.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 20
Yea man the HRRR goes nuts with supercells in New Mexico. Think the SPC only has 2% tornado also lol
Look at that big hail growth zone !?, that supports huge hail, I wouldn’t wanna go chasing in that, those supercells will be mean tommorow even if they don’t produce much tornadoes
7DD4ED8F-BF33-493F-8735-6DB0798CA9ED.png

Back