• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry March 05-06th 2019 Wintry Weather

The same can’t be said for SD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe we get lucky right as we turn the calendar to astronomical spring and pull a storm out of our a** w/ this big +PNA that's due to show up after mid month. Almost that time of the year where a cold pattern is just as likely to involve severe rather than wintry weather.

From an unofficial data source in KCAE, it looks like we got 0.30 inches of total liquid precipitation. Here are the numbers again. Reminder, all of these models were for 12z yesterday.

Best Performing:
RAP 0.29
ECMWF OP .20 (but had .30 RIGHT on the door step)
note about the euro.. used maps from a diff source to figure it, could have been right on the money with exactly 0.30, not 100%)

Worst:
HRRR
NAM 3KM

Here were the numbers again from yesterday:
12z Model Suite Precipitation Accumulation Forecast from College of Dupage active readout
GEFS Mean: 0.15-0.17 (large area)
RAP: 0.29
GFS: 0.21
FV3: 0.16
NAM 32KM: 0.12
NAM 3KM: 0.06
CMC: 0.19
HRRR: 0.08

Tropical Tidibits Map
NAM 12KM: 0.05 - 0.10
ICON: 0.15 - 0.20
RGEM: 0.15 - 0.20

Weatherbell Maps
ECMWF Operational: 0.20 (0.30 very close by)
EPS Mean: 0.10

Other
UKMET Guestimated: 0.15-0.20

Model Blend Totals (inches of precipitation)
All 12z Operational Model Mean: 0.167 (or 0.17)
EPS/GEFS Mean: 0.135 (or 0.14)

Last edited:
Seeing some returns around Winston-Salem and Greensboro. Got any posters up there?

Maybe we get lucky right as we turn the calendar to astronomical spring and pull a storm out of our a** w/ this big +PNA that's due to show up after mid month. Almost that time of the year where a cold pattern is just as likely to involve severe rather than wintry weather.
Well I'd say that my local area got shafted bad this year. Only one pellet flake and that was it. At least next year can't be worse.

Merging observations from CoCoRaHs, NWS Local Storm Reports, Social Media, & my own personal experiences this morning when I drove from Fayetteville to Lumberton & Whiteville, here's a preliminary snow/sleet accumulation map for this winter storm in NC. Onslow County looks to have hit the jackpot w/ widespread 2-3" reports in Jacksonville.
March 5 2019 NC Snowmap.png

Merging observations from CoCoRaHs, NWS Local Storm Reports, Social Media, & my own personal experiences this morning when I drove from Fayetteville to Lumberton & Whiteville, here's a preliminary snow/sleet accumulation map for this winter storm in NC. Onslow County looks to have hit the jackpot w/ widespread 2-3" reports in Jacksonville.
View attachment 17396

Nice map! How unusual is it for these areas to see a snow like this in early March?

giphy.gif

Here is ground (roof) truth from Carrollton, GA -- I guess this is winning, or won, or whatever. It is what it is ...

Snow Pic 3-5.jpg

I know that emotions do run high with winter weather for a lot of us, and this winter has been a difficult one for many of us. I enjoy following the board and thank those that bring their expertise and/or humor.

Got this to look forward to!☹️ Going to hit 22-25 degrees imby tonight, IMO7E1BF51F-DFB2-490D-AF66-35390AF8504C.png9FCE0F09-9F93-41A4-A1FA-2F1CAA9868CB.png

Got this to look forward to!☹️ Going to hit 22-25 degrees imby tonight, IMO/QUOTE]
How much has actually bloomed up there? It looks like most of our plums are out and the blueberries are budding but our apples are still very dormant.

How much has actually bloomed up there? It looks like most of our plums are out and the blueberries are budding but our apples are still very dormant.
Not really sure. My Bradford pear has been in full flower about a week, to the point the petals are dropping. Have an ornamental Cherry or apple tree that has a lot of flowers out. The Bradford actually has small leaves out

Not really sure. My Bradford pear has been in full flower about a week, to the point the petals are dropping. Have an ornamental Cherry or apple tree that has a lot of flowers out. The Bradford actually has small leaves out
Our Bradford’s are about the same. They smell so bad I wouldn’t mind if theyvwilted.

Back