• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Milton

I noticed the surge forecast has been adjusted a bit, with the highest levels forecast just south of Tampa Bay now:

View attachment 153035
That’s a bold map keeping the bay out of the worst of the storm surge. Let’s see if it pays off. Big day boys. Milton on approach

That’s a bold map keeping the bay out of the worst of the storm surge. Let’s see if it pays off. Big day boys. Milton on approach
incredibly tough forecast; current forecast + most guidance suggests this but tampa bay defcon 1 scenario still well within margin of error

Even an 8–12 foot surge would still be devastating and likely the highest since at least 1921, which was at ~11 feet. One variable will be the timing of the tides. Here are the predicted astronomical tides:

Low at 2:19PM
High at ~6:50AM at ~2.8 ft

Looks like it is projected to landfall only ~2 hours before high tide per the slower Euro but ~5-6 hours before per several others. That could make a 1 foot or so difference as far as highest water level (combo of surge and tide level).

It def. has the NNE jog right now for sure. It amazes me a little still how much different this looks from even 6 hours ago. The shear and dry air is really starting to take its toll it appears. A good thing for sure, but still going to be bad at landfall.

I’m not super well acquainted with tide charts but looks like low tide is this afternoon and then the tide should be rising all the way through landfall correct? That’s not great.

I’m not super well acquainted with tide charts but looks like low tide is this afternoon and then the tide should be rising all the way through landfall correct? That’s not great.

Yes: Low at 2:19PM
High at ~6:50AM at ~2.8 ft

6Z Euro landfall is ~5AM, which would be pretty close to high tide and would mean potentially increased highest water level due to tide, alone. But 12Z ICON landfall is at 10PM, which is about midway between low and high. So, that would be at least a foot lower vs 6Z Euro for highest water based on tide timing alone.

Back