• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

The Euro initializes this way too weak at 961mb but here is the wind map based off that.
ecmwf_max_gust_se_36.png
Too weak could easily allow it to produce some pretty high wind gusts up near hurricane force close to NC

We will find out in the post season whether this was a cat 4 or 5 once the data is analyzed, for now it looks like 919mb and 155mph is going to be the landfall strength. Let's focus on the impact for the rest of us in the path... because from what I can see a lot from FL to the Carolinas will see near hurricane force gusts which is a big deal considering all the trees and power outages this will cause over a large area.

Can someone tell me what the MPH is referring to in the super res velocity, and how you can tell if it's at surface vs heights?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

With a 155 mph hurricane, I'm guessing gusts were at least 170 mph. But what are the odds that there were any actual observations that measured winds of 155 mph+ ?

With a 155 mph hurricane, I'm guessing gusts were at least 170 mph. But what are the odds that there were any actual observations that measured winds of 155 mph+ ?
I think ATL might see some Gust around 50 based on the correct path and mph. Unfortunately it starts here when most people will be sleeping. 2amish it looks like.

ok, so just saying.....we have all said this before the last 48 hours, but I am honestly in awe of all this. How about this...the tops are still cooling even over land....I know it can happen over like marsh land, but dang.....
21o820h.png

Very impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAH is calling for 20-30mph gusts, at least in my grid. They seem to do a pretty good job with this stuff I would think.

Yeah that’s typically what we get from storms coming up from the sw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I can tell it looks like most stations were knocked offline/destroyed that were in the eyewall. Panama City on the west side reported 100mph sustained I believe. Most likely the gusts in the worst locations were 150-160mph but it's hard to get an accurate read when the stations in the eyewall are knocked out.

That convection that has persisted on the west side of the eye has been impressive. Wouldn't that normally be present on the East side?

ok, so just saying.....we have all said this before the last 48 hours, but I am honestly in awe of all this. How about this...the tops are still cooling even over land....I know it can happen over like marsh land, but dang.....
21o820h.png

This storm just has me speechless, literally everything has been thrown at this storm, cool pools, shear, dry air, cold front, and land and it's just brushed it off.

Back