• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

Parts of Virginia are also feeling the effects...
Screenshot-2018-10-11-at-6-55-10-PM.png

Josh (Icyclone) is posting some incredible pictures of businesses destroyed and a van tossed. It looks just like the aftermath of a EF3 or stronger tornado.

Ended up picking up 2.55", honestly about around what most models were showing for a few days.

And preliminary pictures of Mexico Beach looked like it was completely leveled yesterday. Just a disastrous, ugly situation there.

Insane gusts here in the Wilson area. I live in the country and a huge open field on the north side of my house. Winds came ripping across the field and tore the flashing off the edge of my house on the west side.

I got hardly any rain from Michael. It was all wind. Highest gusts were likely near 50
mph with mostly 30s and a few 40s. That was enough to cause me to lose power for an hour late last night. However, I did get a much needed 2” the prior 2 days from deep moisture than came off the Atlantic that had nothing to do with Michael.

No more threatening tropical cyclones this season, please. The last 3 seasons have been way too tiring though there’s obviously an element of excitement, too, (never a dull moment) and they’re fascinating to follow. I’ll take boring and drier, cooler for awhile.

Whereas SE GA made out OK, SW GA was hit with its worst hurricane since the late 1800s! The damage is widespread. The crops there were largely devastated.

Last edited:
Insane gusts here in the Wilson area. I live in the country and a huge open field on the north side of my house. Winds came ripping across the field and tore the flashing off the edge of my house on the west side.
Bout right, RWI just reported 61 mph wind gust...

We were supposed to get 1-2 of rain. Ended up more like 6. Flooding in spots may have been worse than our big one in 85. River will be major but not record. There were roads flooded that I have never seen blocked before though. Now gusty but drying out. Feels good! Still keeping an eye on things because kids in eastern VA.

Lots more trees down and power outages around here than with Florence. The local media and meteorologists really dropped the ball saying it would not be as bad as Florence and ignored the wind threat the models were showing here the past two days.

Winds are ripping here now, my weather station, which unfortunately slightly obscured to the north by a woods, now has a peak of 31 mph but I'm guessing they have been more in the 40-45 range. Lights keep flickering off and on

Stay safe, they may increase a bit more as that band moves through.

Yeah I see that, it does have me a tad concerned..... I'd actually like to keep my power on. Picked up 1.8 so far too, first rains since Florence
I've really got to battery backup my station. Picked up 1.71 after the power came back. Guessing we were around 3 storm total from the flooding and ponding I saw otw home from work

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m bowling so no time to read. Any 70+mph ground truth for you Nc folks?

Several stations that got hit the hardest had power go out and stop reporting once things hit about 60-65mph so we may not know. Based on some of the damage I’ve seen I’d say areas north of highway 264 probably gusted 70+ in some spots but not widespread. Here we gusted about 60 at the peak and I have some flashing ripped off from it. Still have power thankfully.

I’m bowling so no time to read. Any 70+mph ground truth for you Nc folks?

The strongest gust I officially saw was a 67 mph gust in Havelock all the way down in Craven Co of all places, I wouldn't doubt there was 70+ gusts over the northwestern piedmont north of the Triad yesterday in association with the convection on the NW side of Michael.

Errr no, the highest gust reported by the Triad was 56mph. That's not even close to 70+mph lol. It doesn't take much to down trees after all that rain. And Craven County - adjacent to the water in the low-lying Coastal Plain? Of course they had higher gusts.

View attachment 6968

It's entirely possible if not probable there were higher gusts than what was officially reported in just the very few sparsely distributed reporting locations in the triad, as was the case in Mecklenburg county for example. Havelock is also immediately adjacent to a national forest and was well removed from the strongest forcing associated with the remnants of this hurricane and is much more anomalous than other gusts that were reported in the southern coastal plain. It's a more reasonable assertion than saying the water temperatures were 90F along the path of Michael.

Edit: Also remember the Burlington station went out before the highest gusts moved in

First off, the 67mph value was from Cherry Point NKT, which is adjacent to numerous lakes and bodies of water directly to the west. There are also numerous buildings to the west, which likely funneled the winds and led to an erroneously high value. ~90 (meaning approximately, or in even simpler terms, not exactly 90) is a lot closer to 86 than 56 is to 70+, or in simpler terms less than 4 is a lot closer than more than 14.

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201810120200-KMHX-NOUS42-PNSMHX

View attachment 6970

4 is stretching it a little because those were the highest values observed on its entire path but it doesn't matter much. Integrated vapor content increases exponentially as a function of temperature and the difference to a hurricane of Michael's stature w/ a nearly complete eyewall actually makes a very monumental difference and thus it's a very huge mistake when you look at it from that standpoint. Oceanic heat content had more to do w/ Michael's intensification than SST, the asymmetrical convective structure in the southern Gulf of Mexico was related to a cold eddy ring northwest of Cuba.

Back