• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely not, even if hurricane Irma stays offshore, it's possible that tropical storm force winds could make it into the Gainesville area. Irma's wind field is going to expand a lot when it begins to make its turn towards the north and interact with this ULL.
Thanks, Man! My staff owes you ... :confused:
Never doubted TS force winds here, but higher have been suggested by models, and I think that is an unlikely event, though 2 days ago I thought it possible ... but ...
Again, Thanks!
Phil

"there's definitely a good chance to remain a category 4 hurricane if hits the Carolinas".
I promise I'm not trolling. I'm deadly serious. 95% if us are novice. You're talking about the coast.?
Surely, not piedmont. TYIA

In the piedmont you probably wouldn't experience category 4 force winds, but hurricane force winds would still be possible if the core of Irma passes over you in the Triad, even if the hurricane made landfall > 150-200 miles away.

We have some extremely generous members that have taken the time to donate to the site as we raise money for improvements and upgrades for the coming year . I'll have a video up tomorrow . But to those that have donated thank you . If you still want to donate there are six days left in the donation drive . Many of you donate in other ways , time and knowledge which are just as important and we thank you for that as well.

Ok, back to Irma tracking

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

In the piedmont you probably wouldn't experience category 4 force winds, but hurricane force winds would still be possible if the core of Irma passes over you in the Triad, even if the hurricane made landfall > 150-200 miles away.
Thank You, Webb !! You're the best!

Well it was a NE outlier I think

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk
I know the NAM is the NAM especially with tropical systems but it can sniff out some trends up around 300mb's over the Conus that the other models may miss which is subjectively a steering level for storms this strong. Once again like the other models just another tool for the box. :weenie:

I just don't see how the "earliest reasonable time" for tropical storm force winds in southern NC is 8pm Sun when the storm is forecast to be in South FL at that time.

Irma is roughly reaching the size of Texas right now (and could grow larger), it's definitely possible.

Xeq9RbR.png

Last edited:
NHC forecasting 155 mph approaching the Upper Keys Saturday Evening, still a 5 before then(160) :eek:

It might just stay a 5 all the way to Florida and set more records

I just don't see how the "earliest reasonable time" for tropical storm force winds in southern NC is 8pm Sun when the storm is forecast to be in South FL at that time.
Gradient wind. Look how the nam is expanding the wind field north

dd51d2f7ab8653fcd646ae4b41e6c8cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back