• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the NHC has it making to the west side of Florida before going north. Good news for here, not for FL

What happens to ocean currents below the surface as a hurricane passes? Are there underwater surges or is the ocean basically a safe place to be just below the immediate surface?

What happens to ocean currents below the surface as a hurricane passes? Are there underwater surges or is the ocean basically a safe place to be just below the immediate surface?
Just curious, what was the purpose of that question? A person does not want to be in the ocean, in and or around Irma. With this kind of storm, it will bring significant storm surge and rip currents.
Are you referring to what happens after a hurricane passes? If so, there would be choppy sea's and rip currents until the water starts to calm back down to normal standards.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

It was more a question of curiosity. The water would be the last place I'd think about being with any hurricane. I wondered whether submarines could safely operate under a hurricane at a reasonable depth. My dad is an ex submariner but he doesn't remember much these days. :)

rbtop0-lalo.gif

Getting very close to baruda and anguilla. Prayers for anyone left on the islands.

0z GFS is running, it seems like it's running little late tonight, but it's finally coming out.

Yeah, with Irma tracking just north of the bigger islands (most likely it will) it should remain it's major category status, cause the SSTs are very warm (85f+) in the path of Irma. I don't think there will be much of an interaction between the mountains and Irma to weaken it by much.

Looks to be positioned a lil further south and west of the 18z run with relatively same pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back