• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

The fear mongering by some on Twitter was a bit much yesterday. Looking like 4-6 inches of rain and 30-40 mph gust.
I know there are certainly a ton of twitter and reddit alarmist posts, but to be fair though it was looking pretty dicey for ATL with a lot of signs pointing to a historic event up here that would make Irma and Opal look like child's play........ BUT I think it was all dependent on Helene getting its s*** together through the night, and while it has intensified, it has been nowhere near worst-case scenario. I wonder if this affected the track some which is why we're seeing the more eastern solutions become more likely as time goes on. Anyway, it still has another 300ish miles or more of warm ocean to cross, so we'll see what ends up happening.

Whereas the Dvorak graph supposedly shows the radius to which hurricane force winds extend in the NW quadrant, as indicated by the R64 red line, R64 meaning a radius of 64 knots, or 73.65 mph, and the box in the lower corner saying the hurricane force winds in the NW quadrant extend out 25.0 n.mi., the recon graph has the wind speed barbs showing there aren't hurricane force winds in the NW quadrant.

I started to update my post above, but I'll respond to it instead. Despite recon showing no hurricane force winds in the NW quadrant, the NHS map shows no hurricane force winds in the SW quadrant.

1727363599695.png

So that's 3 sources saying different things. I assume recon has the correct information since it has actual data you can check.

1727363975484.png

There's a plane in the SW quadrant right now, so we're about to get new readings.

Last edited:
I am really hoping our resident hobbyist and Mets on this board are more correct than the NHC and that cone is straddling the Eastern GA border on the next update. Not looking forward to being without power for days on end and that would save us from that though I worry about our guys to the East of us. I know most of you do not want this either, Good luck to all and especially property owners here.

Last edited:
For sure. And as MBY is 40 miles east of downtown Atlanta, I have a special interest to see if that NHC track pans out.
I still think the worst of the winds will be east of a dawsonville to Lawrenceville to Forsyth line.(gusts at or over 60). I'm having a real difficult time understanding the nhcs reasoning being so far west when just about every model is to the east...some well to the east of their track. It's rather frustrating they still wont address their reasoning. My neck of the woods/Athens area seems poised to be slammed regardless...but it seems obvious very strong winds are going to be extended well into the Carolinas. One just hopes people there aren't caught off guard because they see the nhc track so far to the west.

I still think the worst of the winds will be east of a dawsonville to Lawrenceville to Forsyth line.(gusts at or over 60). I'm having a real difficult time understanding the nhcs reasoning being so far west when just about every model is to the east...some well to the east of their track. It's rather frustrating they still wont address their reasoning. My neck of the woods/Athens area seems poised to be slammed regardless...but it seems obvious very strong winds are going to be extended well into the Carolinas. One just hopes people there aren't caught off guard because they see the nhc track so far to the west.
Based on modeling, the center is far more likely to go over Athens than Atlanta.

And yes, it's beyond frustrating the NHC continues to not explain their reasoning. Especially in this social media age with so much modeling data available to the layman.

I am really hoping our resident hobbyist and Mets on this board are more correct than the NHC and that cone is straddling the Eastern GA border on the next update. Not looking forward to being without power for days on end and that would save us from that though I worry about our guys to the East of us. I know most of you do not want this either, Good luck to all and especially property owners here.
Same here, the rain is enough for me! More worried about my daughter at Statesboro than I am here. Track verification should interesting to say the least,

Back