• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

No hurricane force FL winds in NW quad

1727361915145.png

Recon shows that that Dvorak radii below is bad.

09L-2DWIND.GIF

You are forgetting the northern wall, which will have significant punch.
HRRR 12Z.jpg
Do you mean this "north" wall? It's deteriorating quickly at the same latitude as Atlanta and it's a good 50 miles east of the city, moving NE. The north wall doesn't even cross the eastern suburbs of Atlanta.

The Upstate, NE GA, and WNC are going to have a rough 20-24 hours to go. Things have shifted east to align with the globals so I expect another 4-8" on top of my 3" currently that I've gotten since Tuesday night. Winds I think may be a little stronger now. I would be very concerned about tornadoes and severe weather for anybody along and east of 77 in NC/SC.

Help explain in layman’s terms :)

Whereas the Dvorak graph supposedly shows the radius to which hurricane force winds extend in the NW quadrant, as indicated by the R64 red line, R64 meaning a radius of 64 knots, or 73.65 mph, and the box in the lower corner saying the hurricane force winds in the NW quadrant extend out 25.0 n.mi., the recon graph has the wind speed barbs showing there aren't hurricane force winds in the NW quadrant.

Last edited:
Back