• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Harvey

Please be right CMC. I need it very desperately.
gem_apcpn_seus_21.png

My friend who is a nurse in Houston is pleading on Facebook for people to be rescued in the Norchester neighborhood.

You are not even "abnormally dry". How do you need it desperately ?
It has not rained in here for well over a week, and out lake needs to still recover. It is over 5 feet below and it has needed to go up. If it doesn't there are threats to keep the level 2 drought restrictions for a lot longer. Not to mention that I have seen weeds wilting on the side of the road, which isn't common at all.

63d5599a0b21b29ac992665bb0c008fff1eb2473aaf849fb796a16c3c660c4a9.gif
If the firing convection holds together around center than Harvey could ramp up faster than forecast

Not saying this to be comical, but Harvey is coming to deliver the knock out blow tonight and tommorrow to Houston and surrounding counties.
Surface wind gust are picking up and clouds are cooling. Coc is practically walking through the sand at the beach and about to enter the water. Sst are in upper 70s due to flood water runoff right up against the shoreline. So if he can meander a few miles off coast its going to make matters worse.
Thing that's concerning is if he gets enough wind or ump to put surge onshore flow back up the bayous while dumping heavy rain one last time. Just going to compound the problems.

If Harvey makes landfall again, does that count as a 2nd, or a 3rd landfall? I am hearing Harvey already made two with its initial landfall, but I think that it is documented as 1 landfall, but the storm is going to make landfall at a totally different location at a different day, so would that mean we would have still 3 US landfalls, 4 US landfalls (1 initial, 1 coming soon), or 5 US landfalls for the season (2 initial from barrier island and mainland, 1 coming soon)?

It really doesn't look purely tropical at this point but dang those cooling cloud tops right over the center as it approaches the gom is concerning....

It really doesn't look purely tropical at this point but dang those cooling cloud tops right over the center as it approaches the gom is concerning....
I would have to argue it is coming back to one. Look at the satellite loop through the day today. It has regained some of that classic outflow appearance over land, but it is not visible on IR or WV, only visible. Here is a quick circling of what I am talking about. Have to monitor this area and the rest of the storm through the day to see if this persists or spreads.
Harvey_Offshore_Aug282017_Sat.jpg

I would have to argue it is coming back to one. Look at the satellite loop through the day today. It has regained some of that classic outflow appearance over land, but it is not visible on IR or WV, only visible. Here is a quick circling of what I am talking about. Have to monitor this area and the rest of the storm through the day to see if this persists or spreads.
Harvey_Offshore_Aug282017_Sat.jpg

That joker is trying to restack as well. Look at the gif Accu posted. You can see the pivot of the 700-500mb low jump southward. You can also see thicker clouds pulling around the western side as moisture has began to increase. I may end up being wrong on my prediction last night.

That joker is trying to restack as well. Look at the gif Accu posted. You can see the pivot of the 700-500mb low jump southward. You can also see thicker clouds pulling around the western side as moisture has began to increase. I may end up being wrong on my prediction last night.
We all seem to have been wrong about one aspect or another about this storm. One thing is for sure is that this thing is hard to predict and could definitely gain some strength before the next landfall, but the limiting factor is that deep dry air it has wrapped into it.

18Z 3KM Nam...I mean any more rain is bad for this area, but seeing this much more rain across these areas would be completely catastrophic with more rain still falling...
18z_3km_nam.png

Back