• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Harvey

Saw that water temps are 85-87. Thats Bath water and this thing is just gonna crawl and feed off that.

Saw that water temps are 85-87. Thats Bath water and this thing is just gonna crawl and feed off that.

The issue here is however it will be moving quite slow over very shallow shelf waters next to the coastline and it won't take long for Harvey to upwell itself over those at the speed it's moving so it's very possible he gets knocked down a tad right before hitting.

Sad when JB spends all morning talking about how right he is and has been all week instead of actually contributing his knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He doesn't have that much knowledge to contribute to begin with other than incessant babblings about how this is similar to some 1950s hurricane.

Eye about to clear out....
meso1_13_20170825130425.jpg

throwing darts this am??? NC State should be pretty good this year honestly . Sorry back on topic ....

Inner wall looks like it's weakening. I bet pressure drops stop soon as the outer wall takes over

If anything the pressure drop will likely begin more in earnest once the inner eyewall collapses, it's actually remarkable it's been intensifying like this with concentric eyewalls

Sad when JB spends all morning talking about how right he is and has been all week instead of actually contributing his knowledge

Wow, that is just sad. Just as bad as that hypist from NY. I do agree about the weakening of the outer eyewall, but that could mean we could have capped out strenght, or could mean we will see RI midday today or tonight when it redevelops.

Keep in mind the pressure you see at every point along the planes' path on tropical tidbits as it crosses the eye is extrapolated MSLP from the HH aircraft altitude & is usually less accurate than the dropsondes they send into the eye. The last dropsonde measured about 950mb MSLP, which is a few mb higher than the extrapolated MSLP.

The issue here is however it will be moving quite slow over very shallow shelf waters next to the coastline and it won't take long for Harvey to upwell itself over those at the speed it's moving so it's very possible he gets knocked down a tad right before hitting.
From what I heard and understand upwelling should not be much of an issue. As you pointed out it's not very deep in that area. Even at its deepest point around the shelf the water temperatures are still 80+ degrees.

Harvey slowing down, i really wonder how much of a landfall he will make? I bet it rides the coast towards Texas/La. I also wonder if Harvey gets tuged more east putting La in greater threat?

From what I heard and understand upwelling should not be much of an issue. As you pointed out it's not very deep in that area. Even at its deepest point around the shelf the water temperatures are still 80+ degrees.

I think it will be an issue esp when you have a TC moving at Harvey's pace over water < 100m in depth. The depth of the shelf waters is only a few tens of meters, it won't take long for those waters to cool substantially on the order of 5F or more due to turbulent mixing and upwelling induced by Harvey and they could cool even more...

Back