• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Joe Bastardi
@BigJoeBastardi

·
13h

Euro shows tightening of gradient between Florence and mountains creating alignment for transfer to surface of strong winds upstate SC in NC, Wind gust 50-70 mph this afternoon and tonight well inland( all the way to Charolotte/Greenville, Spartanburg. Tornado threat increasing”

This tweet from JB is in support of the 0Z Euro. So far, this looks like fake Euro news to me but we’ll see what tonight brings before we know for sure. The highest at Charlotte, Greenville, and Spartanburg that I’ve seen so far is in the 30s. I strongly believe the Euro is overdoing inland winds like it has done on a number of past occasions with TCs due to a bias and am going 30-50 for highest gusts as I mentioned earlier knowing about this bias. The Euro is far from being the Carnac the Magnificent of models.

Also, keep in mind that JB tends to treat the Euro as all knowing, including its incorrect having Flo stay offshore til S SC, which he chose to believe. He has since admitted it was wrong.

Mack or others living in the GSP to Charlotte corridor, any 50-70 mph winds yet?

Last edited:
Having personally experienced just over 30 inches in a freak storm system in 2016 that was tropical-ish but not named, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the Carolinas having to go through this. It's good to see Flo slowly weakening, but those rain totals are going to bite, unfortunately, when the rivers rise.

Joe Bastardi
@BigJoeBastardi

·
13h

Euro shows tightening of gradient between Florence and mountains creating alignment for transfer to surface of strong winds upstate SC in NC, Wind gust 50-70 mph this afternoon and tonight well inland( all the way to Charolotte/Greenville, Spartanburg. Tornado threat increasing”

This tweet from JB is in support of the 0Z Euro. So far, this looks like fake Euro news to me but we’ll see what tonight brings before we know for sure. The highest at Charlotte, Greenville, and Spartanburg that I’ve seen so far is in the 30s. I strongly believe the Euro is overdoing inland winds like it has done on a number of past occasions with TCs due to a bias and am going 30-50 for highest gusts as I mentioned earlier knowing about this bias. The Euro is far from being the Carnac the Magnificent of models.

Also, keep in mind that JB tends to treat the Euro as all knowing, including its incorrect having Flo stay offshore til S SC, which he chose to believe. He has since admitted it was wrong.

Mack or others living in the GSP to Charlotte corridor, any 50-70 mph winds yet?
Highest Gust I've had is 33 in northwestern upstate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Joe Bastardi
@BigJoeBastardi

·
13h

Just had some family in Matthews, NC lose a huge oak tree, they estimated winds are gusting 40-50mph right now. The closest official station to them has gusted to 45mph officially so far.

Joe Bastardi
@BigJoeBastardi

·
13h

Not quite. I’m expecting a few gusts that wake me up around 2am. Anything less and I will be greatly disappointed. Atlantic moisture usually doesn’t transfer to the upstate area unless it’s a fast moving hurricane i.e. Hugo

Joe Bastardi
@BigJoeBastardi

·
13h

Nope, not even close! Best probably 25 mph, only thing down here are pine needles, barely any rain

Very appreciative of the weather we’re having today. I can’t remember the last time we went from scorching 90’s to clouds wind and rain for an entire day

Florence has become the furthest east NW moving tropical cyclone on record back to 1851 to later hit the CONUS as it was moving NW in the 46W to 47W area. The prior record holder was storm #5 of 1906, which moved NW starting at 48W. Florence did so between 46.6W and 47.9W.

Very appreciative of the weather we’re having today. I can’t remember the last time we went from scorching 90’s to clouds wind and rain for an entire day
Johnny C and CJ , tag teaming the local weather again! Showed a future cast wind gusts animation from now till about 10 am tomorrow. There were a few hours, appx 4am-8am, that showed some gust reaching 40-45mph, so you might get to sleep in to about 4am. They also reported the highes gust at GSP was 35mph, for Larry.

Florence has become the furthest east NW moving tropical cyclone on record back to 1851 to later hit the CONUS as it was moving NW in the 46W to 47W area. The prior record holder was storm #5 of 1906, which moved NW starting at 48W. Florence did so between 46.6W and 47.9W.
How was the winter of 1906/7?

8AE458FE-1DC9-4D5E-9F8E-83CC5023777E.png Time sensitive, but at this point, the coc , is right about over Orangeburg, the Euro didn’t do to badly, that’s well S of CAE! Too bad all the rain is 250 miles+, to the N/NE/E!

09041810-2B57-4408-AAC7-6845A30DECEB.png This! Somebody in SE NC, is going to end up with 50”+ of rain!

And now a tornado warning for Wilmington.

Also got a special wx statement for wind gusts up to 35 mph here until 2 pm.

Man, that HRDPS model still gets 10” into southern Wake Co. no way that’s right. The RGEM gets 6” in. The 17z HrRrrr brings over 2” over the next 18 hrs. Iconically, the IRon shows only slightly over an inch. :)

Back