• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Invest 95L definitely seems to be a culprit in the evolution of this SE US ridge west and north of Florence around day 3, notice even w/ a weaker Atlantic ridge, the flank of the high over the SE US intensified (likely due to excess outflow from this invest (which might become Joyce), hence the turn west into SC.

View attachment 6163
Something to watch because from the look of things this storm got South Carolina written all over it.

1d5d93a9cb579945cb31fb2d2f338a0e126f02657c52e8523bd9e50c5026c720.png
You can see the left bend after landfall
That would put N GA & E TN in impacts

085725_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png A STORM SURGE WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE EAST COAST OF THE
UNITED STATES FROM EDISTO BEACH...SOUTH CAROLINA NORTHWARD TO
THE NORTH CAROLINA-VIRGINIA BORDER...INCLUDING THE PAMLICO AND
ALBEMARLE SOUNDS.

A HURRICANE WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE EAST COAST OF THE UNITED
STATES FROM EDISTO BEACH... SOUTH CAROLINA... NORTHWARD TO THE
NORTH CAROLINA-VIRGINIA BORDER... INCLUDING THE PAMLICO AND
ALBEMARLE SOUNDS.

Last edited:
0z EPS, note more members into SC vs NC this run. The idea touted yesterday that the ECMWF was overamping the ridge is becoming hogwash esp with 95L developing in the Gulf of Mexico and strengthening the flank of the high over the SE US thru -PV deposition.

View attachment 6162
If that looks just like my cone in my map...
Florence definitely taking on an annular shape this morning and the Euro seems to have the same idea I have about how this system could behave as it makes landfall. Probably a blend of the 2 lines I put in. The rain is going to be crazy in Wilmington to Raleigh with the crawl inland. But hey, at least us in N GA are getting some rain later on per the Euro.

What are your current thoughts? Are you going to post a forecast map? Thanks!

If I were to produce a forecast map I would place the track of Florence over Myrtle Beach as a mid-high grade (105-110 KT) category 3 hurricane, anticipating that the apparent deceleration in its track over shallower shelf water, increasing southwesterly shear, etc would weaken the hurricane, potentially knocking it back to a category 3 before making landfall.

Eye looks a little ragged this morning!!
But imagine my surprise going to bed with almost 0 impacts imby, and waking up to 8-12”+ of rain imby!!? All hail king Euro!! I don’t understand the rainfall map forecast shows the West bend to over my way, but cone still looks the same last night, over toward RAH?

Definitely going through ERC at the moment!!

612FC865-DA8F-4292-A784-14C6EAB21912.jpeg This cone! Should look different soon?

Back