• We've made some major changes to the website. You can view a short list : Here
  • Hello guests. Please take a minute to sign up and join in the conversation. It's free, quick, and easy!

June Bugs (2 Viewers)

dsaur

Supporter
85.1 and 85.2 at 3pm. and it's clouding up. I think I'm going to escape June with no 90's. Just a few more hours to get past. Wonder how far into July I can make it. If I'm going to get into the 100's it's usually the 4th of July weekend when it happens....but I've got to get to 90 first :) Wow, just wow.

pcbjr

Supporter
85.1 and 85.2 at 3pm. and it's clouding up. I think I'm going to escape June with no 90's. Just a few more hours to get past. Wonder how far into July I can make it. If I'm going to get into the 100's it's usually the 4th of July weekend when it happens....but I've got to get to 90 first :) Wow, just wow.
Red and white, blue suede shoes,
I'm Uncle Sam, how do you do?
Give me five, I'm still alive.
Ain't no luck, I learned to duck.
Check my pulse, it don't change.
Stays seventy-two come shine or rain.

Summertime done come and gone, my oh my, oh my, oh my.
:)

Last edited:
I just don't get how Atlanta has had 19 days of 90+ and you haven't had any yet. Aren't you south of Atlanta ?

dsaur

Supporter
I just don't get how Atlanta has had 19 days of 90+ and you haven't had any yet. Aren't you south of Atlanta ?
Yep, 40 miles straight down. The only other station I can compare with is around 2 miles, and they had 6 90+, but only 8 inches of rain, to my 13. and counting, it's pouring now. I'll finish off June with nearly 14 inches if this keeps up. Plus they are in an open field, and I'm am covered up in trees. My guess is the trees hold in the moisture, and bounce the steam back so at least some stays in the ground. And evaporative cooling keeps me nice under the forest canopy. The only other time it was cool like this in dead summer, was after Alberto dropped all that rain. I don't remember a 90 past early July, though there certainly could have been as I wasn't paying but noticing attention. And I suspect the mosquitoes didn't like me mowing down a few acres of ivy under trees last late winter. It's probably not the epoxyclipse, but it is a curiousity :) All this rain and very few mosquitoes, and no 90's. Even I find it beyond interesting, and I've seen some weather stuff, lol.
Edit: Ok, so that gave me .65 assuming no more before midnight, so I'm13.63 from May 15. I'm going to go with a lot of rain helps keep it cool as long as you are under a canopy.

Last edited:
Atlanta has had 19 days above 90? Must several right at 90, I think Marietta has had like 7 or 8, and I've had around 5 or 6. I've had several 88-89 degree days though. It has not been a hot summer in the slightest, humid yes.

Actually Marietta has had 12 days at 90 or greater, so 19 isn't a stretch for the south side.

Yep, 40 miles straight down. The only other station I can compare with is around 2 miles, and they had 6 90+, but only 8 inches of rain, to my 13. and counting, it's pouring now. I'll finish off June with nearly 14 inches if this keeps up. Plus they are in an open field, and I'm am covered up in trees. My guess is the trees hold in the moisture, and bounce the steam back so at least some stays in the ground. And evaporative cooling keeps me nice under the forest canopy. The only other time it was cool like this in dead summer, was after Alberto dropped all that rain. I don't remember a 90 past early July, though there certainly could have been as I wasn't paying but noticing attention. And I suspect the mosquitoes didn't like me mowing down a few acres of ivy under trees last late winter. It's probably not the epoxyclipse, but it is a curiousity :) All this rain and very few mosquitoes, and no 90's. Even I find it beyond interesting, and I've seen some weather stuff, lol.
Edit: Ok, so that gave me .65 assuming no more before midnight, so I'm13.63 from May 15. I'm going to go with a lot of rain helps keep it cool as long as you are under a canopy.
What is your elevation?

Atlanta has had 19 days above 90? Must several right at 90, I think Marietta has had like 7 or 8, and I've had around 5 or 6. I've had several 88-89 degree days though. It has not been a hot summer in the slightest, humid yes.

Actually Marietta has had 12 days at 90 or greater, so 19 isn't a stretch for the south side.
It's been a brutally hot summer in Atlanta. They are running 2.5 degrees above normal for June !

whamby

politicians discussing climate change
dsaur's station sure seems like an anomaly.. is it your own weather station at home? Columbus, Macon, Lagrange, all around his area those stations have reported numerous 90 or better temps.. so it's not weird to doubt the backyard obs....

Last edited:
Haven't mowed in 2 weeks now. This micro climate drought is turning nasty in mby.Go up to the airport and its green, where they've cashed in on thunderstorms that would occasionally come around last month or two.

whamby

It's summer in the south... I'm almost 50 and learning quickly to hate this season I used to fairly tolerate. So far it hasn't been brutally hot, but definitely on the humid side with AN temps... (speaking for the Chattanooga area mainly..).

It's summer in the south... I'm almost 50 and learning quickly to hate this season I used to fairly tolerate. So far it hasn't been brutally hot, but definitely on the humid side with AN temps... (speaking for the Chattanooga area mainly..).
The constant heat and humidity for months with very few breaks is what drives me nuts. I like some variety in the weather and summer is just so incredibly boring in the south except on days where you get a thunderstorm.

whamby

The constant heat and humidity for months with very few breaks is what drives me nuts. I like some variety in the weather and summer is just so incredibly boring in the south except on days where you get a thunderstorm.
even in Indiana huh? The second coldest May I ever experienced was in Toledo Oh, both from temps and a scorned woman, the first was in London England. Stayed in the 30s and 40s for most of the 3 weeks I was there. The coldest June, probably San Francisco.

SD

Staff member
Administrator
Haven't mowed in 2 weeks now. This micro climate drought is turning nasty in mby.Go up to the airport and its green, where they've cashed in on thunderstorms that would occasionally come around last month or two.
There is a developing dry corridor running across the state from just north of charlotte to around goldsboro(see below). Those totals wont cut it when we are constantly between 90-98. Your area has some sneaky chances tomorrow. I like the setup for Wednesday and Thursday with the upper low but we have found any way possible to blow rain chances this summer so its hard to be too optimistic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GaWx

Supporter
I believe your numerous moles have everything to do with this microclimate. It is well-known that your place has a very high concentration of moles. I think they’re causing abnormally high levels of absorption of heat energy by the ground due to the numerous mole-hills that dominate your landscape. This high level of heat absorption thus decreases the amount of heat that is normally reflected back to above the ground, where temperatures are taken. Result: cooler air temperatures just above the ground.

At least yall get thunderstorms, definitely the biggest loss in the summer out here, the heat doesn't bother me that much if there was something to look forward to but it just drags on usually

whamby

At least yall get thunderstorms, definitely the biggest loss in the summer out here, the heat doesn't bother me that much if there was something to look forward to but it just drags on usually
you'll get 'em eventually.. how many years have you lived in Texas? Some of my biggest summer thunderstorm memories are from growing up in Houston and Austin. No city flash floods quite like Houston town...

GaWx

Supporter
By the way, 13” of rain in any month would be a top ten rainy month at KATL going back to 1879! Surely, that along with the moles has a lot to do with your lack of 90s.

you'll get 'em eventually.. how many years have you lived in Texas? Some of my biggest summer thunderstorm memories are from growing up in Houston and Austin. No city flash floods quite like Houston town...
This is my 4th summer. Actually so far all the summers haven't been too hot for Dallas(relatively speaking), but some year that's gonna change...

I'm not sure I'll ever truly get used to it... lol

whamby

Not to say houston, austin and Dallas have very similar climates... Austin is closer to Dallas for sure, but still different. I remember whinging as a teen when Waco got snow or sleet,and we only got cold rain in North Austin.

How have you not hit 90? I live on the south side as well and have hit it multiple times including today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)