• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern June 2024

Not liking the long range looks at all. One "cooler" day next Tuesday but 13 of the next 15 days showing mid 90s. This looks to be a long duration wave. GSF still spitting out triple digits for many but I'm going to hope that remains too high. I hope this doesn't turn into another 2016 summer.

Not liking the long range looks at all. One "cooler" day next Tuesday but 13 of the next 15 days showing mid 90s. This looks to be a long duration wave. GSF still spitting out triple digits for many but I'm going to hope that remains too high. I hope this doesn't turn into another 2016 summer.

We've had 2 bad summers in a row here and what's scary is they didn't peak til later than this 😬

You would think at some point the NWS would look at other reporting stations close by and realize that something is off with the sensor at the airport
I actually emailed our local NWS (FFC) and asked them how they justified the KATL weather stations jumping around between the hours of 1 and 4PM as much as 5 or 7 degrees in the matter of minutes. My $300 tempest performs better then their sorry excuse of a weather station. Averages were 2-4 degrees higher then the immediate reporting stations in the vicinity. They throw out some basic basic excuses, and when you don't buy it, they get less responsive. I also emailed one of our local mets who is now retired, a huge GW pusher, and he didn't like me pointing it out either. I've gone through all the ten year averages at our local reporting stations, and its only the main airport stations show significant increases. KPDK was actually cooler some months in the latest 30 year averages, and it should actually be warmer as it is a more urban environment then KATL.

I also sent a pretty lengthy email to the agency that puts out the hardiness zone map asking for specific criteria as to why my zone in particular went from 7b to 8a.

"I live in norther Georgia, specifically Cobb County. What was the data used to move our area from 7B to 8A? Specifically which reporting stations? The reason I ask is NOAA is not reliable in our area, and the main reporting stations at the regional airports have become exceptionally egregious with overall temperatures, specifically overnight lows. It has gotten so bad now that I can’t help wonder why it isn’t investigated. The station at KATL (Hartsfield Jackson) is now averaging around 3 degrees warmer then KPDK, both deeply embedded in the same urban heat island less than 20 miles apart and similar elevation. My area is now in region 8A, 10-15F, what is the criteria for that? Is it a percentage of years within a ten year period of having lows that reach that range? From 2014-2023 the closest reporting station that FCC actually provides access to (Dallas, GA www.weather.gov) was 9 degrees or less 12 times in 5 of those 10 years, or winter seasons. Maybe I’m just not understanding the methodology of how the zones are actually determined. The two reasons I’m inquiring about this is: where is the data coming from, and what is the criteria for putting certain areas in temperature zones? It must be some sort of average, because obviously it isn’t determinative."

No response, of course.

Unless there was an interhour reading, RDU may have just set its all time record high low temperature of 81.
Maybe. It just had three straight hourly temps of 81. As you said, it might have fallen a degree of two between (official) readings:

1719228272173.png
79 at my house

Edit: Oh, but the day is not over. We could drop a little lower (than 81) before 12 tonight.

Zero rain here. Some small storms passing about 50 miles south of us. It's so incredibly dry and nothing certain appearing in the models.

Next Thursday's potential splits around GA/SC.. AL and NC may get a few drops.

Maybe. It just had three straight hourly temps of 81. As you said, it might have fallen a degree of two between (official) readings:

View attachment 148094
79 at my house

Edit: Oh, but the day is not over. We could drop a little lower (than 81) before 12 tonight.
I've shared this before. Just change the last four in the link for your airport of choice. ex. I use kint for Winston Salem..Updates every 5 minutes or so. https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=krdu

If the clouds can hold on and the storms actually happen PGV might be able to not hit 90 today....for the first time in almost 2 weeks straight. If we hit 90 the next chance to be sub 90 for a high looks at least a week away.

Back