• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

This is true but we don’t want a huge cold Press either. It’s a delicate balance. I’d personally rather see us flirting with cold than see the hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still much prefer to see the hammer on models, since they always have a cold bias in the long term. A lot of our storms are initially suppressed in the long range, so I prefer to see this in the 7-10 day than an actual storm.

is there a thread for Sunday severe weather for the SE? Look marginal atm for TX/La/Ms.

I still can’t help but not ignore the warmer trends and us loosing a good pattern in the medium range… gotta be real here, it has been a real trend to trend away from a nice pattern between the 15th-20th. Pretty discouraging E8B6F54D-D389-426B-B36A-70B694CAD084.gif8DF42C4A-B617-49D9-ABAC-5A49FEBC3E98.gif62DC920F-B951-4C9F-97B4-4A2F997D16CF.png

2014 was the last “cold” snow in ATL I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. Most of our storms are marginal temps and change-overs. I think 2017 and 2018 saw major snows northwest of the city with heavy rates and marginal temps. The 2014 over-running event started when my temp was 25. It iced the roads very quickly. I've only seen a small handful of these type of storms in my 50 years of living around Atlanta. 1982 was like that, too. The 93 super storm was a change over. the 2009 upper level low was also a change over situation. You know it's rare to get snow in your area when you can almost remember every single snow storm!

Continuing to see strong Arctic air move south in the long range is a good sign. We must have the cold in place first and preferably a continuous feed, laying down west to east. When I see snow in Jackson, MS north of a frontal boundary running west southwest to east northeast, I get interested! I need the 850 0 degree line down in north Florida if this is more than 72 hours out.

I think there was a storm in 1992 that started off as snow with temps below freezing. I think Fayetteville got 8" out of that one. I was at Georgia Tech at the time. Played a pick-up game of football on Grant Field in Bobby Dodd Stadium, on 1.5" of snow!

Man, you gotta stop hanging with Carysnow95 and poiman
Man I’m just wanting to see a great look survive under the hour 180 shredder, it’s been very cold at hour 300+ for the last week with a great snow pattern, would be cool if that trickled down for some snow perhaps under hour 180 ?

Yes. Most of our storms are marginal temps and change-overs. I think 2017 and 2018 saw major snows northwest of the city with heavy rates and marginal temps. The 2014 over-running event started when my temp was 25. It iced the roads very quickly. I've only seen a small handful of these type of storms in my 50 years of living around Atlanta. 1982 was like that, too. The 93 super storm was a change over. the 2009 upper level low was also a change over situation. You know it's rare to get snow in your area when you can almost remember every single snow storm!

Continuing to see strong Arctic air move south in the long range is a good sign. We must have the cold in place first and preferably a continuous feed, laying down west to east. When I see snow in Jackson, MS north of a frontal boundary running west southwest to east northeast, I get interested! I need the 850 0 degree line down in north Florida if this is more than 72 hours out.

I think there was a storm in 1992 that started off as snow with temps below freezing. I think Fayetteville got 8" out of that one. I was at Georgia Tech at the time. Played a pick-up game of football on Grant Field in Bobby Dodd Stadium, on 1.5" of snow!

Indeed, there was a big snow in January of 1992, an otherwise uneventful El Niño winter. My friend down in Henry County also received 8”. He was bragging about getting more than just about anyone in the Atlanta area. KATL still got 5”, which made it the biggest pure snow there since the amazing spring El Niño snow of 7.9” of 3/24/1983. About 5 miles north of the perimeter, I got a much smaller accumulation than the southside that I think was under 2” and it melted quickly due to marginal temperatures. It never stuck to roads in my area as I recall.

Back