• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

We don’t need a 50/50 low to get big snow. January 2000 had a ridge in the exact same place. The only difference is that that there was a trough that dug down over MN that supplied the cold air.
I think it all depends on your location. Deep South needs more then NC/ upper AL and TN.

We don’t need a 50/50 low to get big snow. January 2000 had a ridge in the exact same place. The only difference is that that there was a trough that dug down over MN that supplied the cold air.

WAR is not ideal, hurts keeping storms south and makes the nw trend worse imo. That said when we score, it's usually in spite of it because we have a big tall western ridge that helps keep energy south. So the modeled pattern ahead could certainly work imo. Would be great if we could keep a split flow during this time to get southern energy involved. If not we're depending on northern stream energy digging waaaaay south. So, not perfect but pretty good and workable I believe, and the usual way we score the last 10 years.

I like how the GSP disc ends this morning.

Very dry and cold conditions may develop behind the cold
front by day 7 as model guidance continue to slide an Arctic High
(~1040+ mb) from Canada into the Midwest region by hour 180 of the
forecast with lots of cold air pumping into the region. A lot more
questions than answers at this time, but the January air should
remain in place through much of the extended and potentially beyond.

Oh my :cool:
gfs_z500a_namer_52.png

Back