• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

Not going to lie, the 18Z GEFS sucks and thus I’m giving it the ole SouthernWx toss because I can.

If we are to believe recent CFS runs, we need to be patient and hopefully we’ll see a much better pattern starting in about 2 1/2 weeks. Hope the MJO starts moving!?Climo says it will eventually.

Last edited:
Looking at the indices, it is becoming apparent that the only constant across ALL models is a very strongly negative PNA and this generally does not bold well for the SE re: cold and snow. Sure something can possibly happen without it (like a robust stratospheric warming) but that is like wishing Tinkerbell was real!

Looking at the indices, it is becoming apparent that the only constant across ALL models is a very strongly negative PNA and this generally does not bold well for the SE re: cold and snow. Sure something can possibly happen without it (like a robust stratospheric warming) but that is like wishing Tinkerbell was real!

Yep…and we ride the ridge and then it gets cold in March and April. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t see any reason to be encouraged by anything yet. Seeing cooler surface temp anomalies after 300 hrs is nice and all, but the pattern is unchanged across virtually all ensembles for the entirety of their runs and probably will reflect onto warmer surface anomalies and a stronger SER as verification nears. Until the GOA ridge starts to move on the ensembles, bah humbug.

I don’t see any reason to be encouraged by anything yet. Seeing cooler surface temp anomalies after 300 hrs is nice and all, but the pattern is unchanged across virtually all ensembles for the entirety of their runs and probably will reflect onto warmer surface anomalies and a stronger SER as verification nears. Until the GOA ridge starts to move on the ensembles, bah humbug.

Oth, as mentioned in Dec thread, there is a glimmer of hope that the vortex over E Russia is in a better position to create -EPO later in week 2 but I’m not hanging my hat on that just yet

Pattern change! Well, the model is either wrong and we keep the big Aleutian ridge, OR we go to either a GOA low with a raging Pac jet and say bye bye to all the cold air in Canada or watch that low retrograde to the Aleutians and pump up a western ridge. My guess is the latter, based on the alleged MJO propagation and the fact that the model seems to be moving that way, if you play the animation. It fits with the timing of when a better pattern should theoretically start to emerge. Clock is ticking. 2 weeks.

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_65.png

Pattern change! Well, the model is either wrong and we keep the big Aleutian ridge, OR we go to either a GOA low with a raging Pac jet and say bye bye to all the cold air in Canada or watch that low retrograde to the Aleutians and pump up a western ridge. My guess is the latter, based on the alleged MJO propagation and the fact that the model seems to be moving that way, if you play the animation. It fits with the timing of when a better pattern should theoretically start to emerge. Clock is ticking. 2 weeks.

View attachment 98794
Yep. It'll be worth the wait if we can time it up just right for mid January. As bad as this pattern sucks around Christmas December isn't snowy very much. At least down my way mid Jan thru mid Feb is peak climo. If we only get 2 or 3 weeks I'd rather it be mid January.

We're still in December so phase 7 isn't great. But there appears to be too much convection around the Maritime continent influencing the pattern regardless of what phase it says we're in. When or if that dies down we may see phase 7 and 8 act as they should in January.
There seems be decent chance hearing from experts mjo could creep back to 6 phase … that wouldn’t be good

We're still in December so phase 7 isn't great. But there appears to be too much convection around the Maritime continent influencing the pattern regardless of what phase it says we're in. When or if that dies down we may see phase 7 and 8 act as they should in January.
Gefs gets rid of that annoying MC forcing around day 10, finally a positive trend from yesterday 66529B6B-9E5F-4BC2-84EF-C710952C1640.png5D3F93E4-17EF-4F12-A101-E714B5706E4C.png

There seems be decent chance hearing from experts mjo could creep back to 6 phase … that wouldn’t be good
Nothing is showing a push back into phase 6. The worst MJO forecasts have been keeping us in phase 7 which isn't bad in January. But a push to the COD or phase 8 is also a strong possibility.

Back