• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January thread part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
That disturbance dropping down into the Dakotas is the one we'll have to watch out for.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

The tables are turning but never a good thing to wash everything out before the cold gets here. I bet it turns dry cold more so than winter storm after winter storm. Still think we will score 1 however, esp NC. More to come, mic crackling, out, pce sawgrass.

GeorgiaGirl said:
I have nothing new to comment about with the two waves involved with the first system after the cutter, the GOM shortwave and shortwave from north of there continue to dance but don't phase, it's pretty clear if it doesn't phase it'll be all rain in the SE outside of the mountains. A phase is the only hope with that one, but it's risky.

That might just end up being the system to set up other systems, but if that one doesn't work, we're probably waiting until the second week of February.

Edit: I actually think there's a late phase, but a late phase isn't going to work. If there wasn't a late phase, it was the closest we've gotten to seeing one.

It just wants time to work out the details, lol.  I think there will be a low, and with luck after the cold gets in.  Just need a high now to move down in behind the cutter.  That's next on my Goofy wish list ::)  Deepen the trough, delay the low coming out.   Set up a wsw moisture flow, raise the pressure on low, set up the perfect track.  Another high to help set up a ne surface  flow into the event and keep the low south. Blocking, and  split streams.  And a cross polar flow after to cement it all down :) Easy squeezy. T

Another interesting GFS run to say the least. I'm seeing a super clipper diving in again from Canada...

I don't always pay close attention but I've honestly never seen the look I've seen on now a handful of GFS runs. From Tuesday Jan. 31 at 00z, you see a super clipper dive in from Canada. That's interesting to see, even if it's not going to give me anything other than sunny skies. If that look were to pan out it's a good winter storm for the upper south.

This pattern favors clippers more than storms coming up from the gulf stream. Your best bet with this pattern is a phase, which I've been talking about or for a storm to happen right with the pattern breaking (the 18z actually suggested this).

NorthGAWinterWx said:
Not impressed by the GFS.

what's not to like about full pattern flip that holds potential . All we can ask for at this point

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That track of that clipper that comes down at 276 on the GFS is wrong IMO. Also, I think it is too strong, it should be more of a weak disturbance and not a fully develop clipper system. The disturbance should spin up a low pressure in the southern stream as it taps energy from the Gulf like what the 12z Euro EPS is showed from today. At hr 300 on the 0z GFS you can see that a transfer occurs from the clipper to a newly formed low off of the mid Atlantic coast. The GFS is all over the place IMO.

much better ridge placement and trough axis on the 00z gefs vs the gfs op

Storm5 said:
NorthGAWinterWx said:

what's not to like about full pattern flip that holds potential . All we can ask for at this point

It's not the pattern, it's the way the GFS is handling the systems. It's all over the place on the GFS.

NorthGAWinterWx said:
Storm5 said:
NorthGAWinterWx said:

It's not the pattern, it's the way the GFS is handling the systems. It's all over the place on the GFS.

I mean it's the gfs , anything post day 3 is going to be wrong . That's why it's fun to watch each gfs cycle cause they are all different

Storm5 said:
NorthGAWinterWx said:
Storm5 said:

I mean it's the gfs , anything post day 3 is going to be wrong . That's why it's fun to watch each gfs cycle cause they are all different

I agree, past 192 on the GFS is fun to look at. The best thing to look for beyond 192 is pattern changes, temp anomalies, 500 heights...not so good for predicting storms beyond 192. Sometimes the GFS can perform well with some systems.

From my tired, glassy, silly eyes. 00z GEFS showing multiple over-running possibilities past hour 200 for the majority of the Southeast. Not gonna miss them all.

From my sleepy eyes, i see a vague hint of a CAD winter storm setup for 2/3-4 per the 0Z GEFS. Of course, this is for entertainment only. We're talking 2 weeks from now. but fwiw,t he trough axis is then favorable per the 0Z GEFS mean. Then again, maybe the GEFS si playing tricks on our eyes.

I absolutely love the GFS run for the past few days or week showing tons of potential. Nice cold air to hang around and potential for mega clippers and maybe storms.

If 06z goofus is right with that L placement at hr 288 a lot of people will be happy come Feb 1st....LOL! Again it's at hr 288 so take w/a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatalife said:
If 06z goofus is right with that L placement at hr 288 a lot of people will be happy come Feb 1st....LOL! Again it's at hr 288 so take w/a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6Z GFS is about as holy wow a run as any I've seen recently! Forget the storm. Look at how cold it gets. Of course, all of it is taken with a huge grain, especially with this being way colder than the EPS rund but keep hope alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back