• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9 Wintery Weather Potential!

I kid you not, I went to bed at 11:30 with a mix of snow, sleet, and rain. Just woke up to a dusting on the grass and rooftops with it still currently snowing and 32/31.
Damn! I’m definitely driving to the northern part of the county later today. Still a rn/ip mix here but 34/32 so I’m hopeful for later

Damn! I’m definitely driving to the northern part of the county later today. Still a rn/ip mix here but 34/32 so I’m hopeful for later
Temps are definitely colder at the surface by 2-3 degrees. Got a friend about a mile south of the border and they’ve been snowing a good portion of the night. Even got a friend about 2 miles north of 85 and they have a dusting already with more falling. I looked out the window and it I thought my eyes were deceiving me but sure enough a heavy dusting already with another couple of bands swinging through.

Temps are definitely colder at the surface by 2-3 degrees. Got a friend about a mile south of the border and they’ve been snowing a good portion of the night. Even got a friend about 2 miles north of 85 and they have a dusting already with more falling. I looked out the window and it I thought my eyes were deceiving me but sure enough a heavy dusting already with another couple of bands swinging through.
And here I am, 5 miles south. The elevation change is not much from where I am (eastside) to north of 85 but it’s enough to make a big difference

I could be totally wrong, but it looks like the area from Charlotte/east to Raleigh/south to Fayetteville could end up the big winners. The models keep spitting out big totals for western areas but surface temps are going to be bad all day today. Of course the mountains will be good. The area I described will benefit from the back band and will have temps lowering to near or just above freezing this evening.

Garbage rain here and 36..may be a few flakes mixed in but nothing to white home about

And here I am, 5 miles south. The elevation change is not much from where I am (eastside) to north of 85 but it’s enough to make a big difference
The elevation is a little higher but I’ve noticed the cold air spills over the mountains easier or quicker and snow always settles usually along and north of that redline in the upstate.

Attachments

• 29A9B178-6072-44A6-B038-42693263991B.jpeg
    29A9B178-6072-44A6-B038-42693263991B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
Looks like a snowstorm at 1,500 ft in the triangle area

Attachments

• EB4A54BC-F4E7-466C-971B-05EC9E7F93A9.jpeg
    EB4A54BC-F4E7-466C-971B-05EC9E7F93A9.jpeg
    934.7 KB · Views: 33
Back