• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9 Wintery Weather Potential!

Me and @metwannabe sitting pretty and dry ! At least from the maps y’all posted today . That really blows . I always wondered if there is some sort of downsloping affect due to the Uwharries and Carraway ranges in central NC.
Ive always wondered that too. However, in the summer if storms form down in the Troy-Albemarle region they survive well into Chatham Co.

I’m not feeling too optimistic. Even though I’m under a winter storm warning, I can see a path to end up with almost nothing to show for it. Too much warm nose on the initial feed with maybe a burst of snow that doesn’t accumulate, dry slot/ drizzle in the middle, and the deform band fizzles so that I see light snow for a couple of hours that doesn’t accumulate much. Maybe get a heavy dusting to a 1/2” a couple of times. I really hope this doesn’t happen, but I’d give it a 50% chance of happening.

You probably are in the best spot outside of the mountains. I think you atleast see 2-3” of snow/sleet.

Honest question. Which model is more reliable. HRRR or RAP?

You probably are in the best spot outside of the mountains. I think you atleast see 2-3” of snow/sleet.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. It makes me feel better. I know if the rates are heavy it will pile up quickly. Little bit of luck involved. My area is always significantly worse than Greensboro and Winston. Mixing issues with every storm. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. It’s going to be tough teaching from my computer tomorrow...

This is pain for Raleigh.
View attachment 64127
Me and my buddy @metwannabe are going to climb up to the top of Medoc mountain for some elevation and a better chance . It’s only like 350 feet up but perhaps that will do . It’s better than my 270 and his probably 150 feet of elevation . Actually not a bad idea ! Hmmm. Maybe some orographic lift?

Last edited:
The best part for me and the rest of us on the Hwy 74 corridor east of Charlotte is that this band looks to arrive within about an hour of sunset. So for the most part this should be after daylight which will be good with temps where they’re at.
If the nam is good, I might have to change my map, thing has went from a GSO-RDU to a CLT-FAY type thing

Back