• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9 Wintery Weather Potential!

Even the Euro is trying to pick up on the CLT to FAY event. That little blue blob south of Union County. I think @Webberweather53 was right. @Myfrotho704_ I think for once in our lives, we are sitting exactly where we want to. Fingers crossed!
I do think you will do well up your way. Of course if I end up getting the Union County screw zone again, I’ll just load the kids up and head to my parents place in Concord...

1610071162805.png
Wanted to wait to see the latest RAP and HRRR as well as see the reports from the initial precip and radar returns before I made my final call. Think this is doable with that backside band looking pretty good. Mountains are set for 3-6" with closer to 8 on the peaks. Think places like TR, Inman, Salem end up with 2 or 3 inches as they will be where the initial snow is going to start coming into before the backside comes through. 3-4" likely along I40 and north. 1-2"+ for the triad as that band really gets cranking over that way. Greenville to Spartanburg to Gaffney can definitely get an inch maybe 2 from the backside band. South of there is likely to pickup a dusting. Overall I got a dusting to as much as 4" in the upstate with the highest the closer to I26 and the NC/SC border you are. 3-8" in WNC and 1-4" from the escarpment to the east.

Got it. I’m probably just frustrated I made this trip in hopes for an accurately played out forecast. I will digress for a bit and go stoke the fire. At least we will get some good ole’ Joey’s Pancakes out of the trip!

I am pulling hard for y’all man! We visited Maggie Valley for the first time last February and loved it more than gatlinburg. Loved the down home feel and non touristy feel. I love going to gatlinburg too, but Maggie valley was awesome.

We went up for some snow and our forecast busted, but it was never supposed to be anything crazy to begin with. I think when all is said and done, yall will get a nice snow. Keep us posted and stay positive. The beginning and just before an event is always stressful but I’m confident for y’all! We also visited Joeys pancake house and it was great!

Last edited:
I do think you will do well up your way. Of course if I end up getting the Union County screw zone again, I’ll just load the kids up and head to my parents place in Concord...

I moved for a reason. Lol. Jk. But I wouldn't discount Union at this point. Having all these mesoscale models pretty much spitting golf ball-sized snowflakes out is a good sign. I think you'll do fine. Things will change, obviously, but I'd be content if I were you. :)

Back