• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 7th Surprise (?) NC & VA Winter Storm

Webberweather53

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Given that this is less than 48 hours out, we've seen consistent favorable trends on virtually NWP models (including the recent 12z operational Euro), and would be a low risk/low reward type event w/ a modest ceiling in climatologically favored areas of the board (thus low bust potential), I think it's legitimately time to fire up the thread.

It's certainly nice to have something like this keep us preoccupied for the time being while the LR pattern continues to look like ?.

The 12z Euro was a marked improvement over the 0z run for NC but still no cigar (yet).

download (18).png

download (17).png

All-in. I wish I didn't have to work Tuesday so I could chase towards more favorable locations. Looks like rain most likely here... And to make matters worse I'm going to be stuck in meetings most of Tuesday. :(

3km and 12km are agreeing in colder 850s, stronger low in the NE helps aswell almost acting like “mini” confluence with better CAA, couple more ticks south and areas north of CLT are in the game 89DA132A-2653-42DE-B91E-BFED84BEBBDA.gifC1F3D92C-A859-4776-8B7C-0BAA8A24E9D4.gif3km basically supported wet snow as far south as north CLT with impressive lift in the DGZ 0596EC79-B08E-4B58-8B27-035BC9B4CE0E.pngthis possible event coming up is kinda reminding me of March 2017, but the axis shifted significantly more north more towards I-40, gotta remember tho that the nam is often to happy with wintry precip around this range

Maybe I'm weenieing out, but I do seem to recall modeling can overplay the warm BL temps in these scenarios and cold air can mix down provided we get good rates, allowing more snow than we might expect?

Well, my user title is a play off this, haha...

I'm so desperate for snow. It's been so freaking long and I missed several great storms while living in FL the last several years. :(

From early looks, the 18z NAM seems better. Further south s/w. Further north northern stream
12z
namconus_z500a_us_34.png

18z
namconus_z500a_us_28.png

FWIW RAH not enthused
Code:
Tuesday will see the arrival of a weak shortwave trough and
associated surface low. Weak isentropic ascent ahead of this trough
will bring precip into the Triad early in the day with rain not
expected in the Triangle til after mid day. Rainfall amounts don`t
look too significant (up to a quarter of an inch near GSO/INT,
around a tenth near RDU, even less to the east), but the track of
the low could result in some in-situ CAD around the Triad. Made some
downward adjustments to high temperatures in the Triad on Tuesday
while also increasing temperatures east of US-1. Precip will end
quickly after 00Z coincident with the rapid departure of the surface
wave and stronger cold advection. Thus, wintry precipitation not
expected with this event.

You can pretty easily tell why models (Nam in this case) have been trending further south. Notice the northern stream ULL and the S/W have
been trending more and more separated. The northern stream is in charge of bringing this system north. The less interaction between the two equals a further suppressed storm.
Nam model - Copy.png
namconus_z500a_us_fh51_trend.gif

The other short range models definitely looked like they came in much colder and would most likely of had a much more colder solution that the NAM

Back