• Hello, we have changed the default theme for SouthernWX. If you prefer the old look, you can change it back to the "Default" at the bottom of the page in the theme selector. If you have any issues or problems with the new theme, let @Shawn know with a message!
  • Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

January 7th Surprise (?) NC & VA Winter Storm

accu35

Reaction score
Welcome ! I see you’re in Baltimore. I’ll be there in a couple weeks . Hopefully I won’t bring the hear with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you actually work related traveling, or just telling the wife that so you can chase

Storm5

Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
Reaction score
Are you actually work related traveling, or just telling the wife that so you can chase
Work . Lol I’ve been to Iowa and Chicago in the past few weeks trust me , there is nothing chase . But don’t worry , I’m going to Arizona and Tampa coming up soon , that’s when the southeast will score

Nomanslandva

Reaction score
Failing so far. Some flurries but not even a trace on any surfaces. Edit: Finally starting to see some flake without a magnifying glass. Maybe we'll get one burst before it ends. Mount Airy getting anything? 1578402891234.png

Attachments

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
33 and rain with a crazy amount of lightning to my west. Also high wind watches are up in the mtns.

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
Congrats South Carolina. Looks like a line of thunderstorms has formed south of Charlotte. so may be a better chance of hail or ice there given the soundings.

accu35

Reaction score
Work . Lol I’ve been to Iowa and Chicago in the past few weeks trust me , there is nothing chase . But don’t worry , I’m going to Arizona and Tampa coming up soon , that’s when the southeast will score

Lol, I figured I mess with ya.

Snowmizer

Reaction score
2.5 inches of snow accumulated at 600 ft, in the hills of west Baltimore. About 70% coverage still on the ground. It was 40F when the snow started here. It started as a mix in the city. Temps fell to 32.6F here with moderate snow for about four hours. Winds became NNW. It was a great winter afternoon.

The National Weather Service downplayed the event so roads were not treated. Wednesday morning was a nightmare with black ice. Bridges closed, over 100 accidents reported by WBAL. Temps fell into the low to mid 20's.

Latest visible satilite image:

IMG_0.jpg