• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

January 6th-7th Potential Storm

NAM rapidly scours the wedge b/c it has Southeast winds at 925mb... RGEM has a stiff winds out of the Northeast at 925mb along the escarpment for the duration of the storm.

I'd be shocked if the NAM is right with its depiction.
The safe bet is to always assume the wedge is going to hold on longer than forecast. We’ve seen too many times over the years

GC8uNePWUAAo6y1

fram_acc-imp.us_state_nc_va.png

Was still icing and the 3K was likely too dry with the coverage. DP's were quite a bit lower on the 3K also. 5 degrees lower vs the NAM in mby and was holding 31/29 for the duration.

1704339140519.png
First initial look at what I'm thinking on precip types. High Country likely starts out with some snow before switching over to ZR. The escarpment, foothills, and western piedmont, northern upstate and mountains of NE Georgia I think have a chance to have several hours of ZR before eventually switching over to Rain on the backend. CAD domes tend to overperform and down here the foothills, areas along highway 25 in Greenville county and north of 85 (Cleveland, Marietta, Travelers Rest, Gowensville, Taylors), Northern Spartanburg County (Greer, Campobello, Landrum, Lyman/Wellford, Boiling Springs, Fingerville, Chesnee), and North and western Cherokee County (Gaffney) tend to overperform. Spartanburg, Greenville, Clemson, NE Georgia, and Piedmont I think have an onset few hours of ice to Rain. Obviously can and probably will change one way or another. Probably won't even look at possible totals until Friday.

Back