• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Oh rub it in why don't you. Just kidding, glad you cashed in on that one, after all the Atlanta area is so often left out in the cold.
The was I see it here is that if you live in the northern part of the county, you have far better chances of seeing accumulating snow than the southern end. I think it is partially elevation and location, but it seems we are the dividing line for non mountain snow quite a few times unless its a statewide storm or a south state storm. In the just over a decade time I have lived here, only 2 or 3, at most 4 of the winters has there not been any accumulating snow. Every other year I have seen some form of snow. Of those years, many give nothing to Atlanta, but produce here.

The was I see it here is that if you live in the northern part of the county, you have far better chances of seeing accumulating snow than the southern end. I think it is partially elevation and location, but it seems we are the dividing line for non mountain snow quite a few times unless its a statewide storm or a south state storm. In the just over a decade time I have lived here, only 2 or 3, at most 4 of the winters has there not been any accumulating snow. Every other year I have seen some form of snow. Of those years, many give nothing to Atlanta, but produce here.

That's why I've tried to say that you can't exactly consider Atlanta North Georgia because the actual North Georgia climate is a different animal. Atlanta is in just a slightly better position than most of central GA itself when it comes to snow.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_38.png
CMC
Haven't had a chance to see temp profiles, but that's what was of concern to me, not being cold enough. Precipitation looks great though coming from the West. Eric is awesome with all of the analysis and examples he's provided, I'm thankful for his insight. Sure hope it comes to fruition as he said it possibly could.

Webber, I know that you focus mainly on historical North Carolina systems. However, I would love to see maps depicting the evolution of the 2/26/1914 storm that was considered by many in my area to be the "big dog" system before 1973. I seem to think that I've read that winter was an El Nino, but I can't concisely confirm that fact. I'm assuming that North Carolina ultimately got some snow from this same system, but again I've only researched the impacts that it had on Georgia.

I wonder if the 12Z GEFS
Webber, I know that you focus mainly on historical North Carolina systems. However, I would love to see maps depicting the evolution of the 2/26/1914 storm that was considered by many in my area to be the "big dog" system before 1973. I seem to think that I've read that winter was an El Nino, but I can't concisely confirm that fact. I'm assuming that North Carolina ultimately got some snow from this same system, but again I've only researched the impacts that it had on Georgia.

That was a weak El Nino. Hopefully Webber will post but the track of the low was the typical track for us to get something wintry down into the Gulf that then crossed central FL.

That's why I've tried to say that you can't exactly consider Atlanta North Georgia because the actual North Georgia climate is a different animal. Atlanta is in just a slightly better position than most of central GA itself when it comes to snow.
I would argue that an area like Atlanta/Henry County has a far distinct climate that what one would experience if they resided in Macon. To most people that live in South Georgia, Atlanta is absolutely considered to be North Georgia. However, I do concede that it's different than what one would experience if they lived in NE or NW Georgia. I would consider the "Macon climate" to be from Monroe County south to around Fitzgerald and anything west of Vidalia. Whenever you get around Claxton, Statesboro, Pembroke, etc., the coastal influence is distinct enough to differentiate these areas from place of a similar latitude such as Americus.

Yep, could be at least closer call on 12Z Euro vs 0Z Euro. More moisture pooling W GOM vs 0Z Euro. Trough fruther west. Look out. MAYBE

Looking at more maps tells me to not call this threat off just yet regardless of how this run ends. But will run end with a SE storm? We'll see.

Back