• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

I was living in Greenwood, SC then and was right on the line of getting 12" + and getting much less. I got about 13" and was more than pleased. I'm in Greenville, SC now and if I had been then, I would have been PO'd.
I was stationed in Columbia in the late 60's and drove home to Atl one weekend, and it was spitting sleet in Cola when I left, and when I got to Greenville, there as a good 5 inches of snow on the ground and coming down still. Had to sneak onto the Interstate as the state patrol was blocking access, but I knew some back roads. Anyway, a dusting in Cola. heavy snow in Greenville, and it stopped about the rest area just north of Atl. So Atl and Cola lost out and Gville got hammered. Oh, the fickle nature of winter storms in the deep south :) T

If you Carolina boys remember Jan 2000, then this can happen based on the 12z Euro. Just let it work things out; it's not horrible!

The storm the ETA missed, precip wise; lol.

I don't really remember it but my dad has talked to me about this storm in East Georgia. His story is the same as y'all in Carolina for the beginning, nothing was expected but it unexpectedly started to snow heavily for a few hours. Where it breaks off is it didn't stay snow, it switched over to freezing rain, then rain and the snow was almost completely gone by morning (I fill in the brackets by wunderground).

I have a very vague picture memory of when I was a four year old of where when we were trying to go to my dance class (which got cancelled) there was snow on the ground...maybe up to 3 inches? It's not recorded but it definitely did happen, just to a MUCH lesser extent than what the Carolinas got.

12"+ totals start right across the VA/NC border on that Euro run. All we need is to back up the wave a little bit and so many on this board are going to be crying tears of joy. If it goes the other way, well we'll keep crying. Either way, this one has the potential to make folks cry.

It's going to take a lot more for those in AL, TN, MS, etc. But for the Carolinas and parts of GA, its very close to a big deal. Literally, move that trough axis back West 100 miles even. Whew.

The is a much better look for my area . The 12z cmc from yesterday
479a17cafb0e5e4e5387a50a4b15011d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's it going to take to get the foothills of NC in the game? Earlier phase? Or alot more? Just doesn't look like moisture can get back this way looks mainly like an eastern NC event but then again the early December storm looked the same way

Well I guess it's time for me to start the hike up to the top of the cliff before it gets too crowded. It was a nice look while it lasted.

If you guys take a look at the panel I posted above, of the Euro turning it into a bigger NE storm, you'll see that we need an earlier phase to cause sort of the same effect down here instead. It's entirely possible SC/GA/ & NC end up with a big storm on their hands if the Euro speeds up as we get closer. in fact, it's not out of the realm of possibility for the low to end up being too close to the coast for some areas to stay predominantly snow. While giving the upstate more precip, ga, mountains of NC.

The trend has definitely not been favorable for folks west of GA. As Shawn mentioned, I think this favors eastern GA/SC/NC where this could turn in to a very big deal. The other thing to remember is the Euro is still trending faster with that wave that phases with what we have been calling wave 3. That trend continued today and is what prevented this run from being a whiff. If that trend continues, it should end up digging the base of the trough further southwest. But again, would probably be too late for those in western GA and AL on west.

That’s the thing the ridge out west isn’t gonna have a massive shift west at 6 days out so there is a limit to how much further west the shortwave can get . IMO as has already been said this favors eastern Georgia and the Carolinas . We in the western part need a big change at H5 and the chances of that are small. But if there were to take place we need to start seeing them soon. This just isn’t a good look for my area
941f56d2e3216b1e209ede4e71336753.jpg

That's what I was thinking as of right now doesn't look good for us in Western NC but still time for things to change just hope to see them change soon.

That’s the thing the ridge out west isn’t gonna have a massive shift west at 6 days out so there is a limit to how much further west the shortwave can get . IMO as has already been said this favors eastern Georgia and the Carolinas . We in the western part need a big change at H5 and the chances of that are small. But if there were to take place we need to start seeing them soon. This just isn’t a good look for my area

It's pretty bad when it's the Southeast Ridge but even worse when you have to consider the Southwest ridge. LOL

If you guys take a look at the panel I posted above, of the Euro turning it into a bigger NE storm, you'll see that we need an earlier phase to cause sort of the same effect down here instead. It's entirely possible SC/GA/ & NC end up with a big storm on their hands if the Euro speeds up as we get closer. in fact, it's not out of the realm of possibility for the low to end up being too close to the coast for some areas to stay predominantly snow. While giving the upstate more precip, ga, mountains of NC.
Do you see it phasing sooner

Yeah I’d feel much better if this shortwave was coming down through Kansas and Oklahoma vs Arkansas . We are walking an extremely fine line with the currrent setup. Thankfully it’s 6 days out but I doubt we see a 200 or so mile west shift with the shortwave track

yea need about 200-300 mile shift for it to make a difference.

Back