• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Baby steps
5be078bfb2544b3c135ea51f0ec5237a.gif

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lol I don't wanna hype this up at all or anything but this look at day 5 on the GFS kinda looks like the Jan 2000 crusher but there are a few massive caveats
Imagine if that bloomed sooner.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_26.png

The overall z500 near the east coast isn't that dissimilar from the January 2000 event however a few minor details mean the difference between nothing and a monster. Namely, this s/w in the southern stream cutting off sooner & amplifying more and the northern stream slowing down just a tick, that's really the difference here. Certainly hard to get big coastal lows in the right place w/o much greenland blocking, sure overrunning events are easy to come by in a pattern like this (relatively speaking haha), but w/o a -NAO, it's pretty difficult to get a monstrous Miller A.

Am I missing something here? Euro showed a hit, CMC yes further south but still a storm and the GFS just took steps towards the euro....why so negative? At least wait until dr. no speaks before losing hope. Dang I thought there were good trends, reading this thread at times can be hazardous to your health lol

Lol I don't wanna hype this up at all or anything but this look at day 5 on the GFS kinda looks like the

The overall z500 near the east coast isn't that dissimilar from the January 2000 event however a few minor details mean the difference between nothing and a monster. Namely, this s/w in the southern stream cutting off sooner & amplifying more and the northern stream slowing down just a tick, that's really the difference here. Certainly hard to get big coastal lows in the right place w/o much greenland blocking, sure overrunning events are easy to come by in a pattern like this (relatively speaking haha), but w/o a -NAO, it's pretty difficult to get a monstrous Miller A.
The biggest surprise ever. Man that was a great storm.

Am I missing something here? Euro showed a hit, CMC yes further south but still a storm and the GFS just took steps towards the euro....why so negative? At least wait until dr. no speaks before losing hope. Dang I thought there were good trends, reading this thread at times can be hazardous to your health lol

Yeah, the GFS has been showing storms and the Euro hasn't, and the Euro has been right. I guess this time if the Euro is wrong and the GFS is right we just say they all suck.

If the Euro is a hit, even if it misses the western portion of the southeast, that'll make it 4 for the last 4 there.

Problem is wx.graphics just went into weathermodels mode and subscription based service :(
I just noticed, wow that sucks...understandable I guess considering the cost to get Euro maps but still. And right in the middle of a possible Winter threat, ok from a marketing stand point that was smart.

We can still get really large coastal lows in a pattern like this but they've historically ended up getting shoved well offshore and implicating coastal areas of the southeast (December 1989, February 1973, etc.) without really turning up the coast, granted I'm sure few would complain about another Feb 1973 storm...

Lol even then why would anyone lose hope over a day six threat ?? Lol we’ve seen the models not get anything right past day 3

We can still get really large coastal lows in a pattern like this but they've historically ended up getting shoved well offshore and implicating coastal areas of the southeast (December 1989, February 1973, etc.) without really turning up the coast, granted I'm sure few would complain about another Feb 1973 storm...

I definitely wouldn't

Feb1973SnowfallAccum.png

Back