• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Doesn't really look like moisture would be an issue as the energy looks separated enough to me but it's much warmer than even the warmest other guidance I think.

Lol what ? Swing and miss ? It’s just getting started by the end of the nam with the freeze line in northern miss Alabama and Georgia heading south
Warmer is great! Less supposed!!

Warmer, and energy about to zoom upward, away, but okay.

Atlanta got down into the single digits in January 2014 with no snow cover here so it is possible.
Well ATL got to -5 on Jan 11, 1982. The Sunday Night/Monday Morning before SnowJam 1982.. The "Supercold" ground temps lead to the issue with Snowjam as it was the first snow on frozen ground in modern era, so no "slush time" to allow commuters to get home before "it got bad". Situation was similar in 2014. Which has resulted in "impact" forecasting , which IMO is the correct way to look at things.

This ain't 1982, (or 1977 or 1985 or ...) and it ain't gonna be the situation the models have suggested, but ... it beats the hell out of this time period the past couple of years ... chill ... ;)

Well ATL got to -5 on Jan 11, 1982. The Sunday Night/Monday Morning before SnowJam 1982.. The "Supercold" ground temps lead to the issue with Snowjam as it was the first snow on frozen ground in modern era, so no "slush time" to allow commuters to get home before "it got bad". Situation was similar in 2014. Which has resulted in "impact" forecasting , which IMO is the correct way to look at things.
Remember the ‘82 sub zero event well. My father walked to the bus stop for work with his hair still damp from his shower and his hair froze!

This ain't 1982, and it ain't gonna be the situation the models have suggested, but ... it beats the hell out of this time period the past couple of years ... chill ... ;)
Wasn t trying to say this is anywhere near that, was just replying to comments hinting that the snowpack was needed for the extreme cold events.

84 hour temp
613ba9862f943739cb1527c863792258.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is your warning ⚠️. We have lots of potential over the next 7 days . Guest traffic is through the roof so one liners and comments that add nothing to the conversation will be deleted . If you have an issue with your post getting deleted message one of us or complain in the banter thread . I’ve deleted several of my own posts as well so I’m not picking on anyone . Don’t push the limit , I’d hate to sideline people during the heart of winter with so much going on. I’ll be wearing my ass hat for the next week . Thanks , carry on

Here is your warning ⚠️. We have lots of potential over the next 7 days . Guest traffic is through the roof so one liners and comments that add nothing to the conversation will be deleted . If you have an issue with your post getting deleted message one of us or complain in the banter thread . I’ve deleted several of my own posts as well so I’m not picking on anyone . Don’t push the limit , I’d hate to sideline people during the heart of winter with so much going on. I’ll be wearing my ass hat for the next week . Thanks , carry on

Sorry about that boss...I might’ve had a few of them. I’m personally just jonesin for the 0z suite. Certainly a lot of potential within the next few days. Doubt we see CMC type cold, but to other’s point, it is possible even without snow cover down here.

Looking at the 84h NAM a little closer, it shows zonal flow at h5 from TX all the way to the east coast. That energy would need to dig a little more and back the flow just a little without raising heights in the southeast. Here lately, that's been a tall order. 850's are right on the NC/SC boarder and surface temps are right around freezing. Overall, not a bad look, but it needs some help to bring us the goods.

Back