• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

I just checked them for Columbia SC and a few are getting moisture this way now. Also, looks good for Orangburg (south of Columbia). One has over .60 qpf down there.
Dang that's a pretty huge difference for only being around 45 miles away

Go to tropical tidbits, go find the 3 KM NAM, show the simulated radar/surface maps and watch what happens with the surface low. It literally bounces around like a monkey on crack. Not just small bounces either. Big ones through hour 60. The only reasoning I can think of is all that junk vorticity out there that i posted above.

Just looked. It's like it can't make up it's mind.

The more I look at old charts from Jan 2000's carolina crusher, the more the 00z NAM looks like it. Hm. THe ETA missed the precip shield inland, but could that have been because the extra vorticity out in front was there (just not modeled well in 2000) that threw it off?

The similarities at 500 hpa between the NAM forecast and January 2000 are actually very scary...

0z January 25 2000 500 hPa vorticity, wind, and heights via ERA-20C
Jan 25 2000 0z 500 hpa.jpg

gfs_z500_vort_eus_13.png

Side note; sorta relevant. I am happy to see new people posting about 500mb maps! The surface reflection sometimes, doesn't make sense based on 500mb and learning to read the maps will help you immensely with weather model watching & forecasting! The models are free on tropicaltidbits.com (aside from the euro) and more advanced maps are on pivotalweather.com. This storm is a great learning experience!

southern stream is stronger than the 00z NAM @ 54 hr...but northern stream isnt digging as fast south as it was on the NAM. Won't be an early phase this run, but it could still produce given strength of s/w

actually virtually identical to the 00z nam at 60hr as far as the s/w -- northern stream weak like 18z run

finally positive tilt between florida panhandle and mainland, negative tilt east of florida mainland. still no real phase.

will be a far coastal counties, coastal plain/obx of NC snowfall

Yeah, low looks to be slower, deeper, and a little West versus 18z. Nice runs tonight so far.

Back