• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

I am loving that euro run. Shades of Feb 1979

Yeo, it's actually got some similarities to Presidents Day 1979 setup except it's much warmer overall.

We had a near 1050mb high over the Great Lakes leading up to that storm which helped deliver enough low-level cold to produce big snows in NC despite the less than ideal z500 vort track. We're almost definitely gonna see nothing like that here unfortunately.

1611257373789.png

1611257288846.png

Interesting thread — take away seems to be that the MA should be more excited than we are (what else is new?):

I know Anthony (HM) knows his stuff but I wish it meant more to me than just this.......

Долоо хоногийн эхэн үеийн системийн талаар сонирхолтой зүйлийг дурьдах нь: NE PAC-ээс SE Ridge руу өндөр тропопаузын үед гарч болзошгүй өндөр температур (мөн циклон түүнтэй хамт зугаалах болно). Бүх загварт ийм загвар байдаг, гэхдээ би ая тухтай байлгах үүднээс 6z GFS ашиглаж байна.

Gotta know this was expected. Don’t know of too many wall to wall model runs that keep a storm all the way through. They always lose them at some point to bring them back around the day 3-4 range. Let’s see if it happens here
I agree, we just need patience. Most of us have seen this show before.

From RAH:
Models then project another shot of Arctic air ahead of yet another
southern stream wave racing from the southern US to the OH Valley by
Thursday. This would result in another period of CAD and well below
normal temperatures, with some small potential for wintry weather
based on a little better phasing and placement of high pressure over
eastern Canada.
In the case of both of next weeks systems, and
particularly the late week system, the shortwaves and jet energy of
interest are still out over the north Pacific, so confidence is
below average.

Back