• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Here's my full post from over there, some ensemble members and the NAM see it too, to an extent:
Midweek UKMET:

giphy.gif

Euro not too far off:

giphy.gif

but a little too warm

It's in NAM range now too:

giphy.gif

Some EPS ensemble support for north of 40 and elevations on teh plateau and NE TN/ SW VA:

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 6.43.03 AM

6z GEFS:

giphy.gif

A Met over in the SE (Americanwx) was saying earlier in the week not to sleep on this one, since the only thing keeping from being at least a little snow storm (2-4 type deal, my guess not the Met's) was that the vort was not holding together on models at range.

Local news weather is not mentioning it at all and that is an important, but often overlooked component for us, (well at last for my superstitions, lol) Gotta have it something like this be a little sneaky, to maintain tradition.

bear with me guys, in a lot of shoulder pain/muscle spasm but.. from the data presented here:
It looks like the Euro was less robust with the wave/surface low presentation, therefore the precipitation is basically drying up as it crossing over the apps. The UKMET and multple members are showing a situation of more precipitation able to continue and cool the air down...

I'm assuming here, just based off these images, you might want a stronger wave.

FFC mentions possible snowflake in the higher elevations for midweek system, and does throw a bone (of sorts) at next weekend. Many of us are getting desperate for something to track!! ???

.LONG TERM /Monday Night through Saturday/...
Extended period forecast doesn`t differ much from the previous
package. Active weather pattern is in place with cool air mass,
and rainfall events every 2-3 days.

First round of activity expected to move in late Tuesday and
Wednesday as fast-moving wave traverses the area. Models continue
to show potential for cold air wedge pattern to set up prior to
main onset of precip, with the potential for mixed winter precip
over portions of mainly northeast Georgia Wednesday morning. For
now, have mentioned rain or snow in weather grids for just a few
hours. No accumulations are expected at this time given the very

low QPF and drier lower-levels.

Brief sunny conditions are expected Thursday before next wave
brings rain again to the area on Friday. Have kept forecast pops
lower than populated guidance given the difference in the extended
models. As with the mid-week event, there is a chance for mixed
winter precip early Friday in the higher elevations with cold air
in place as moisture moves in. No accumulations expected at this
time.

High temperatures through the period are generally near
climatology, or slightly lower. Min temperatures are generally 4-8
degrees above normal through through the week.

GFS sure was close to a absolute bomb for mountains of WNC and NE Tennessee. Still a solid wrap around for those areas with probably 4-6 inches. This needs to keep up so I can take my first trip to Maggie Valley.

Yea looks more like cold rain given low rates and spotty moisture. The jumping is not resulting in snow it’s lack of cold air and heavy wall to wall moisture.

Probably no snow because precip is not into 850s that are below freezing in NC and 0C 925s but still to far south, and the GFS has been trending to more interaction from the northern stream that’s why it’s jumping, cold rain is likely but snow is still possible, can always wet bulb to a better sounding

GFS sure was close to a absolute bomb for mountains of WNC and NE Tennessee. Still a solid wrap around for those areas with probably 4-6 inches. This needs to keep up so I can take my first trip to Maggie Valley.
Not really too warm 5 to 10 degrees. No ski resort wants to see another heavy rain event and temps above freezing day and night. Their gains keep getting washed away. Wrap around as shown could easily be 6”+ given what I’m seeing.

Triad cities to Raleigh should like cmc has potential there for snow showers. Back to northern foothills too.

I'm changing the "Dislike" button to a neutral action, because I'm not sure it's understood that a dislike removes reputation points from people's score.
Edit: Changed, dislike away.

This doesn’t work for Tapatalk right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrap around looks good 0z Sunday on GFS. Warning criteria snows. Heavy rates. Mtns only.
I don’t believe this is mountains only ... look at the strong feed into NC and temps are plenty cold enough to get good snow showers .. snow showers for a lot of NC if that verifies .. probably no accumulations but we will take it

This is the closest some of us have been to a potential winter storm all year. I would think we would need that big low over the NE Atlantic to lift out a little quicker. With any other and I actually mean every other winter storm threat that usually happens and we are watching the inevitable north trend.

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-0299200.pnggfs-deterministic-namer-z500_dprog-0299200.png

CMC is better for all of western NC and outside mtns north of i40. Temps borderline. Thurs.

CMC had mid week deal last night on oz run. Been in church all morning and see ukmet and few others showing this now. CMC keeps stepping up its game.

Back