• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

06Z GFS looked more like a coastal but still had a little low in eastern KY screwing things up. I was not real impressed with the EPS for the weekend system this run either.
1580043009515.png

So it looks like the UKMET is much colder. I'm not sure how it does with temps, I've always used it just for storm tracks and ideas. Interesting. Is that radar simulation possibly virga, though?

Here's my full post from over there, some ensemble members and the NAM see it too, to an extent:
Midweek UKMET:

giphy.gif

Euro not too far off:

giphy.gif

but a little too warm

It's in NAM range now too:

giphy.gif

Some EPS ensemble support for north of 40 and elevations on teh plateau and NE TN/ SW VA:

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 6.43.03 AM

6z GEFS:

giphy.gif

A Met over in the SE (Americanwx) was saying earlier in the week not to sleep on this one, since the only thing keeping from being at least a little snow storm (2-4 type deal, my guess not the Met's) was that the vort was not holding together on models at range.

Local news weather is not mentioning it at all and that is an important, but often overlooked component for us, (well at last for my superstitions, lol) Gotta have it something like this be a little sneaky, to maintain tradition.

The UKMET precip amounts spit out a general .20 - .25 of qpf over the TN Valley. But it is at the absolute high end of all guidance right now.

Here's my full post from over there, some ensemble members and the NAM see it too, to an extent:
Midweek UKMET:

giphy.gif

Euro not too far off:

giphy.gif

but a little too warm

It's in NAM range now too:

giphy.gif

Some EPS ensemble support for north of 40 and elevations on teh plateau and NE TN/ SW VA:

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 6.43.03 AM

6z GEFS:

giphy.gif

A Met over in the SE (Americanwx) was saying earlier in the week not to sleep on this one, since the only thing keeping from being at least a little snow storm (2-4 type deal, my guess not the Met's) was that the vort was not holding together on models at range.

Local news weather is not mentioning it at all and that is an important, but often overlooked component for us, (well at last for my superstitions, lol) Gotta have it something like this be a little sneaky, to maintain tradition.
This is an interesting one especially for Tn and WNC peeps. Euro always a degree or 2 too warm and honestly we've seen these pieces of energy hold together a little longer than forecast, wouldn't take much for nice little event. 12z should give some better idea, maybe

This is an interesting one especially for Tn and WNC peeps. Euro always a degree or 2 too warm and honestly we've seen these pieces of energy hold together a little longer than forecast, wouldn't take much for nice little event. 12z should give some better idea, maybe
It wouldn't completely shock me if someone out our way managed a snowflake out of this one.

It wouldn't completely shock me if someone out our way managed a snowflake out of this one.
12z ICON has more precip this run just a little too warm, the increase in precip is nice to see though.... Still nothing big but step in right direction

Keeps our energy consolidated a little longer

1580052321201.png

I would be shocked if I saw accumulating snow this week. I don’t think a lot of precip survives over the MTN and what does may skip East a little in the form of cold rain.

GFS coming in more consolidated again with our mid week system. Still a whiff but maybe can trend better

Actually have a weak HP so 2m's aren't awful.

View attachment 32109
Sounding isn't bad and very similar to the euro with below 950 being the bugaboo if we fully wetbulbed. With the weak ne flow if we got into steady precip we might get lucky

Attachments

• download (2).png
    download (2).png
    320.3 KB · Views: 28
Gfs is making these types of jumps inside 100 hours, soundings from CLT north was so close if you wet bulb, just 925s are so borderline
Yea looks more like cold rain given low rates and spotty moisture. The jumping is not resulting in snow it’s lack of cold air and heavy wall to wall moisture.

Back