• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

I was defiantly wrong on the active southern stream weakening at some point this winter. As WeatherNC stated, the risks go up for a east coast blizzard. Strong winds and very heavy precipitation. One storm could still make Van Denton’s winter forecast (1-4 feet) look good.

FWIW, a few gefs members are still biting on that hour 156 system, most of them are suppressed but the 2 that show the low strengthening have solid snow in NC mainly north of 85, in my opinion that’s the best shot we’ve had this entire winter in NC outside the mountains DC0CF0E9-0F3A-402F-889D-1C0FC8F3041D.png

Accuweather: The period from February through March can be very stormy as building warmth from the strengthening sun and warming air in the southern parts of the U.S. can meet up with lingering cold across the northern part of the nation. Based on average, it is generally easier for snow to fall over the next six weeks when compared to the prior 12 weeks as the upper levels of the atmosphere are quite cold and water temperatures are generally at their lowest point of the year.

Yes. That's where the 12z had a big SE storm. Looks like the hits keep on coming. That energy that was held back is finally coming at hr 384. Looks like it will be too warm this run. Hit parade of storms. We need to get some folks in the SE on the board!

We have had a parade of systems since November and rain at least once a week since then. The precip hasn't been the problem. Unless we get the cold and the precip at the same time, it is just going to be more of the same.

Upslope still looks interesting for Sunday, and I remember it did on the Euro too, so maybe you could at least go catch some good upslope in the mountains if you want to go.

I’m not sure I’m buying that fast little piece of energy entering the border of BC and Washington state...that’s why it ran the apps...looked like it was moving in fast motion when it entered the CONUS..toss

I’m not sure I’m buying that fast little piece of energy entering the border of BC and Washington state...that’s why it ran the apps...looked like it was moving in fast motion when it entered the CONUS..toss
I'm tossing that run too, it's strange to me that it goes from an app runner to a Northeastern coastal storm.

Back