• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

As much as I want to get excited about the potential for the southeast seeing a winter storm (BIG IF) my excitement won't raise until I see the western areas of the southeast and I-20 areas get in the game from Dallas eastward

But climatology speaking, how often do we see a widespread snowstorm like that? The last one I can recall is 2014.

This near normal is more likely to verify imo than that previous weeks 3-4 outlook, which was cold in the SE. Also, note that the CFS is now mild in the SE for the 1st half of Feb, which I think was a primary influence, and no longer is cold for Feb overall. I still think that the best shot at sustained cold will be somewhere within 2/20-3/20:

1579902243864.png

1579903710448.png

GFS is a little further north with the southern slider this run. Looks to give the SC/NC coastal regions some love or rain???

EDIT - Small footprint of snow between Wilmington and Hatteras.

Not a bad look. GFS buried the energy in the southwest this run so not a huge SE storm like the 12z.
prateptype_cat.conus.png

That's at hour 336.
Yes. That's where the 12z had a big SE storm. Looks like the hits keep on coming. That energy that was held back is finally coming at hr 384. Looks like it will be too warm this run. Hit parade of storms. We need to get some folks in the SE on the board!

There is an overwhelming arguement we should have a true ,solid miller A late next week into the weekend coming up out of the gulf. The players that will be on the field to make this happen start showing up in 6 days. Bottom line the signal is there in prime climo.
Problem is obviously gonna be BL/Temps. MBY will be right up against the door leading to the frozen goods, highly likely on the outside of the door looking in. The silver lining is I can be 3,000ft up in a 95 minute drive. I never chase snow, always just wait every year for what nature throws my way. But its been a long time since Dec 2018. Getting ancy, with only about a 6 week window left.
So I am increasing my target area beyond the Back Yard. Gotta change tactics, if it want come to me, I may have to go to it.

There is an overwhelming arguement we should have a true ,solid miller A late next week into the weekend coming up out of the gulf. The players that will be on the field to make this happen start showing up in 6 days. Bottom line the signal is there in prime climo.
Problem is obviously gonna be BL/Temps. MBY will be right up against the door leading to the frozen goods, highly likely on the outside of the door looking in. The silver lining is I can be 3,000ft up in a 95 minute drive. I never chase snow, always just wait every year for what nature throws my way. But its been a long time since Dec 2018. Getting ancy, with only about a 6 week window left.

There is nothing worse than being on a cusp of a major snowstorm. I have been burned so many times being south of I-85. Watching heavy snow falling 15 miles north of you- while I end up with slop. It's been pretty miserable, to say the least. I hope we can all score with this pattern. If I can manage 6 inches of snow, I will be more than happy.

The only way non-mountain and foothill areas are going to get a winter storm out of this pattern is if a storm bombs out and becomes a pseudo-50/50 low and another southern stream system comes in on its heels. If you don't see that, it ain't gonna snow big, unless the models are completely wrong with the PV placement in central Canada or north of that.

My PTO was entered on Tuesday, waiting until the middle of next week before schedule clearing starts. As CR stated, non-elevation and interior SE need a lot to change, but the players are at-least on the field for a major east coast blizzard if these parcels can time it right.

Last edited:
Back