• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

some people claim they don’t hinder a snowstorm setup, but I beg to differ. As do many others
They do and they don't. I recent years, that feature has in no way aided in southern snow the bulk of the time. It can, under some circumstances, not be a hindrance, but you're going to have to work really really hard to convince me that it helps more than it hurts. About 90% of that feature shows up, a widespread winter storm here happens not. Maybe in a different pattern where there's blocking or something, it may not hurt us. But you can just look at the temp map above and see the effect of its presence.

They do and they don't. I recent years, that feature has in no way aided in southern snow the bulk of the time. It can, under some circumstances, not be a hindrance, but you're going to have to work really really hard to convince me that it helps more than it hurts. About 90% of that feature shows up, a widespread winter storm here happens not. Maybe in a different pattern where there's blocking or something, it may not hurt us. But you can just look at the temp map above and see the effect of its presence.

No phase, split flow, you are going to see something like that there. Is this really thought to be some type of semi permanent thing?

Attachments

• gfs_z500_vort_us_fh174_trend.gif
    gfs_z500_vort_us_fh174_trend.gif
    800.1 KB · Views: 41
No phase, split flow, you are going to see something like that there. Is this really thought to be some type of semi permanent thing?
I'm not following ya. Sorry man. It's early, I'm off work, and I haven't had coffee yet!

Edit: You saying it's there because there wasn't a phase?

Reactions: SD
I'm not following ya. Sorry man. It's early, I'm off work, and I haven't had coffee yet!

Edit: You saying it's there because there wasn't a phase?
I think he is saying that when we do have a phase the GLL has no effect so it is not a permanent or semi permanent thing, depends on other factors

I think he is saying that when we do have a phase the GLL has no effect so it is not a permanent or semi permanent thing, depends on other factors
Oh ok, gotcha. Yeah, when that energy phases in, I get that scenario. And yeah, I didn't mean to indicate it's a permanent feature. But if it's there when the southern stream wave moves by, assuming no phase, with marginal temps, it is going to do more harm than good most of the time.

Oh ok, gotcha. Yeah, when that energy phases in, I get that scenario. And yeah, I didn't mean to indicate it's a permanent feature. But if it's there when the southern stream wave moves by, assuming no phase, with marginal temps, it is going to do more harm than good most of the time.

What you both said. The 0z GFS kept the stream separate and fed nothing into the southern stream like the 18/6z's did, sorry that lakes low thing is just one of those things that grinds my gears.

I'm surprised the severe threat isn't getting a little more conversation this morning. Pretty stout high shear low cape with winds backing across the Carolinas.
Yeah that is true I suppose we can’t make a separate thread but could be a pretty nasty line later today

Sub 530 thickness across alot of NC as this pup is getting ready to spin up the goods. Ashame it doesnt go out futher. Ever notice the ICON will paint rain as the precipo type all the way to the 520 thickness line, sometimes lower. Thats why its R/S line is always way out of whack (much futher N) than other globals. Thanks for making me look SD! Look at that NS energy coming into the back side of the SS

1579881762514.png

One thing is certain, we are about the get very active, with one southern stream wave after another. Maybe we can get lucky, but it's going to require a perfectly-timed phase, I'm afraid. I don't like the chances of that.

GFS starting to look like last nights CMC, it’s just 925s are to warm, still has time to be something but the ensembles look the same, with warm BL issues, such a shame AB17C751-F059-47BC-BD85-80E901C2A76A.png6A418A36-1D60-438E-9465-8FE4814B0F08.gif

And yes, that trend shows how bad the GFS is, that’s absurd and terrible for being inside hour 150, absolutely ridiculous

Back