• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

GFS was delightful if you’re looking to bank some more rain against the next drought. Mostly seasonable temps. I mean it is what it is. On the bright side, the I-95 corridor gets very little wintery precip so thats always a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We're saving up for Fab Feb

At this point I really don't see much potential in the next 10 days. There isn't any cold air to be had for the sliders next week. Only hope would be a stronger storm but more often than not you lose the favorable track and fight WAA then. Only other option is a cutoff ULL showing up which is not likely.

If we can get some ridging on the west coast going forward into Feb we may can get something going. I'm skeptical of that for obvious reasons but hopefully at the very least we can keep a -PNA from showing back up. There appears to be no help in the form of blocking at all and that is troubling. But enough ridging on the west may can tap some of that very cold air that's bottled up IF it occurs.

I actually see potential in the pattern. That doesn't mean we will actually be able to get a winter storm though either. The cold air will be the problem, but hell isn't usually that case?

Yeah, honestly in my opinion this upcoming possible pattern (+EPO which almost always keeps away a SE ridge and is actually pumping that west coast ridge along with ridging into Canada ) looks better than what we’ve had most of this winter, (GOA ridge/-PNA/+AO) we almost always work with marginal setups with borderline patterns

Fun Fact:
I just found out our favorite weather pattern, (+PNA, -EPO. Baja low and EC trough) is classified under a pattern called "Rex Block"
@Webberweather53 should do some research on this type of pattern since I've seen many snow events from this setup. December 2018 is in recent memory.
View attachment 31869
Map Source: https://www.weather.gov/jetstream/basic
Another source: https://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/178/
I’ve heard Rex block referred to many times but never thought much about it. Thanks Ollie

I like what the CMC has been doing, stronger bombed out low NE of Atlantic Canada which means more CAA, and also it has sped up that one wave that was once in Texas (it’s now all the way into NC) it’s sheared but there’s enough digging for a wave to develop and produce light snow north of 85, CMC has improved 67C490F7-CBBC-4217-81EA-3C6B79CDC97D.gif

Back