• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

I bet the GFS would have the snow storm if the low track didn't cut inland. I do not think it would cut inland like that. Both 12z GEFS and EPS show a western ridge building (+PNA) at the time the low pressure begins developing. They also show some blocking in the NAO region, so I expect to see a -NAO. The western ridge would force the jet to dip south over the east allowing deep cold air to push south/southeast. The low would track either east/northeast, up along the southeastern coast and up the Eastern Coast.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
To add to this, look at the 850 temps, 0c or slightly below reaching past the Gulf coast. Just imagine this low further south which I do think it would trend further south. The 12z GEFS mean does not show this low cutting inland.

0517bc738446b051c1f84bbbbbc7787c.jpg
f2f6a5bb2aca5249d0dfe4eb6c4fe70c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Not that I see, although I didn't look up that way. Big +PNA with some -EPO mixed in.
True I was mistaken but boy oh boy if that big +PNA with some -EPO can really get going as is being shown ... I’m guessing we start seeing some big time high pressure systems moving out of the north burying themselves in the US

Looking at the GEFS members it looks very active some members show short range storms. And quite a few good members around the 30th

We've seen this time and time again and them not even come close to verifying...so fwiw:

View attachment 31862

Its like groundhog day looking at the models in the long range right now. There are a few decent things going on that could at least make you think maybe this attempt to congeal the tpv into the hudson bay area has legitimacy and maybe start to kick enough out of AK we get a little more legit ridging out west. After watching it doo doo out twice so far I can't hold my breath

GFS was delightful if you’re looking to bank some more rain against the next drought. Mostly seasonable temps. I mean it is what it is. On the bright side, the I-95 corridor gets very little wintery precip so thats always a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back