• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

High Wind Warnings out for eastern TN. This has been one of the more windier winters in recent memory.

I think winter is over for everyone south of Tennessee and North Carolina. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t go that far, it wouldn’t take much for areas south of I-40 to get something. But we’ve all been following winter weather long enough to never write winter off, where it be a marginal setup, some sneaking up on us, an amped up low with wraparound or a bowling ball ULL, countless possibilities that can still happen that don’t necessarily involve the classic miller A big dog.

12z RGEM supports some winter weather advisories along the escarpment. Sleet to ZR. BFAD7008-23FC-477F-B3CA-DC019C2A3DF5.jpeg

This is a rain or snow pattern imo..so a low tracking right over us just isn’t even the least bit interesting. Even a perfect low track is going to leave favored areas on the fringe in a marginal setup. What the GFS is puking out will not work. Still lots of details to be worked out but the theme so far this winter is a low that verifies much further north than modeled at d8-9. Just my thoughts

This is a rain or snow pattern imo..so a low tracking right over us just isn’t even the least bit interesting. Even a perfect low track is going to leave favored areas on the fringe in a marginal setup. What the GFS is puking out will not work. Still lots of details to be worked out but the theme so far this winter is a low that verifies much further north than modeled at d8-9. Just my thoughts
It should be at the very least interesting especially being this far out .. we know that the position will change just as the models have been pushing the lows south as we come further towards verification

Really hoping this at least works out for the mountains, at this point, it would be great to track anything here in the SE. For once, it would be awesome for something, anything, to trend in a good direction from the long range.

Serious question: other than it looks like a less than torchy pattern, is there anything to really be excited about going forward? I mean, I don’t see any signs of being able to really tap into the arctic in the next 7-10 days and I don’t trust anything beyond that time frame.
Models flirted with a triple phaser yesterday at 12z, but were still too warm
Not verbatim but might be workable. Need to see that high SE Canada get stronger or further south, and obviously that low to be further south and not phase or bomb out until later. Not too much to ask for, right?

Back