• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

The ECMWF is a hot mess at 500mb, at least 3-4 shortwaves yet to be resolved within the streamflow. Better phasing with the northern stream entities would produce a stronger surface low, colder surface temps, and more widespread snow (& vis versa). I definitely wouldn't be too worried about surface temps 9 days out given the complexity of this kind of setup

Not unprecedented. 87 wasn't a cold winter but enough cold with the storm itself to produce snow. This happened a couple of times that winter.

compday.TaVdhhte3X.gifcompday.T7Sq5Cmzqr.gif

Day before the event.

compday.UqhEedAAuG.gif
accum.frozen.19870217.gif

It isn't just the storm. Look at the +PNA!

View attachment 31727

Speaking of, look how poorly the models have been with the PNA region at a 10 day lead. Good god. Euro in third place during this period, not something I’ve seen before. Yuge fail by the euro here.
ac4e1a70ed2709ab0108c1f888bc62d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verbatim, wasn't a whole lot of moisture w/ it on this run because there's a lot of synoptic-scale sinking on that backside of the cold front behind the low over Maine but it's definitely closer to something.

View attachment 31719
I think that first one is going to be more difficult to get something going, but lays the ground work for the bigger one after.

That storm was nuts, if I recall correctly we had quite a bit of ice with that one here, full grown pines bent over to the ground with a solid 1" of sleet on top....
Yes, we all did. I remember it as a major ice maker. Couldnt get traction walking on anything.

Back