• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

It’s not really a snowstorm pattern to say the least but it’s not a torch pattern either. In the past I would have rather liked the 60-70F’s if it wasn’t going to snow but now I will happily take any seasonal temps we can get. The 60-70F’s probably aren’t to far away though.

View attachment 31502View attachment 31503
That's impressively consistent maybe I can hold off on the pre emergent

One thing I note right now is how steep the low level lapse rates are going to be with this ULL. Any mode of insolation could fire up CU towers capable of quick bursts of precip...much like the summer does with afternoon convection.

I have not checked out the soundings, but those ULL could start a graupel storm as it passes overhead.

The NC Mtns are Looking real good for a big upslope event Next Sun/Mon. Talking 4-12 inch type deal, depending on elevation , especially northern mtns.

Looking through the EPS members, there is actually a pretty good signal around the 31st. If the EPS holds, it will be funny to see the flood of optimism again.

Even w/ lackluster radar returns and anemic snow growth in the DGZ, light snow is falling across a large portion of the Tennessee & Ohio Valley. Keep an eye to the sky today, radar is almost certainly going to overshoot the low-level stratus deck that's generating the snow down to northern Alabama this morning. Certainly could see a few snow flurries making it down to the Atlanta area later.

82474556_2538018569657185_984270233520832512_n.jpg

Even w/ lackluster radar returns and anemic snow growth in the DGZ, light snow is falling across a large portion of the Tennessee & Ohio Valley. Keep an eye to the sky today, radar is almost certainly going to overshoot the low-level stratus deck that's generating the snow down to northern Alabama this morning. Certainly could see a few snow flurries making it down to the Atlanta area later.

View attachment 31511
If they're getting flurries now and if those make it down here later tonight, I wonder if the HRRR will be right and give us a few hours of light snow here tomorrow morning.

If they're getting flurries now and if those make it down here later tonight, I wonder if the HRRR will be right and give us a few hours of light snow here tomorrow morning.

I certainly wouldn’t rule it out, even down my way ITP. Perhaps there’s just enough moisture & energy to squeeze a few out.

The NC Mtns are Looking real good for a big upslope event Next Sun/Mon. Talking 4-12 inch type deal, depending on elevation , especially northern mtns.

this may be the weekend to make my trip to gatlinburg. If I could get a cabin 3000 feet or higher I’d do just fine with a setup like that.

What a mess. Not one forecast for snow from anyone and major accidents over north-west NC. 105 is shut down. Serious accidents everywhere cause no treatment on the roads.

Up to 2” and still snowing in parts of Watauga/Ashe. If you would like to see some snow it won’t be able to melt for a few days. Main roads are still bad in certain areas.

Last edited:
Back