• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

FWIW here is the 10-15 00z EPS 500 height anomalies...
bc80495e7ceb371c7e6f9e0207d883a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Stephen and I'm also new to the discussion board. I enjoy the enthusiasm for winter weather on here. and weather in general. I've lived in NC for 39 years and I have seen warm days like the ones we are currently experiencing. It does make one wonder if winter makes a comeback. I honestly don't believe ( history tends to back this up) that we can go thru an entire winter without getting some sort of payback from mother nature. There is alot of cold air over Alaska/Siberia (-40 to -60F) and it has to get dislodged at some point. Now where exactly the core of this super cold air goes is up for debate, but do believe we can't go thru an entire winter and not get at least some snow/ice in the south. I'm model watching like y'all are, but let's give it time and be optimistic.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

I'm Stephen and I'm also new to the discussion board. I enjoy the enthusiasm for winter weather on here. and weather in general. I've lived in NC for 39 years and I have seen warm days like the ones we are currently experiencing. It does make one wonder if winter makes a comeback. I honestly don't believe ( history tends to back this up) that we can go thru an entire winter without getting some sort of payback from mother nature. There is alot of cold air over Alaska/Siberia (-40 to -60F) and it has to get dislodged at some point. Now where exactly the core of this super cold air goes is up for debate, but do believe we can't go thru an entire winter and not get at least some snow/ice in the south. I'm model watching like y'all are, but let's give it time and be optimistic.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk
Welcome to the SouthernWx weenie insane asylum! Great to have you a board.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the few days of the forecast? I wouldn’t trust it in the COD or anything outside Day 7 on the GEFS.

Check this out...(I know it’s not the bias corrected version but I didn’t have an old screenshot of that)we were supposed to be in the COD and we are obviously in a decent amplitude of phase 7 (map not updated yet)

dd67bf5e3061773d09c4f9ccfa1e55c3.jpg

2adc9e59277e99a947287491af5d405b.gif

The GEFS LR MJO diagram where the spread is increased as noted by the gray areas is notoriously terrible.

Are you talking about the few days of the forecast? I wouldn’t trust it in the COD or anything outside Day 7 on the GEFS.

Check this out...(I know it’s not the bias corrected version but I didn’t have an old screenshot of that)we were supposed to be in the COD and we are obviously in a decent amplitude of phase 7 (map not updated yet)

dd67bf5e3061773d09c4f9ccfa1e55c3.jpg

2adc9e59277e99a947287491af5d405b.gif

The GEFS LR MJO diagram where the spread is increased as noted by the gray areas is notoriously terrible.

Thus the bias corrected version. It’s been a couple runs in a row now that has reduced the amplitude in ph 5. That’s about the only thing I implied on that post.

Thus the bias corrected version. It’s been a couple runs in a row now that has reduced the amplitude in ph 5. That’s about the only thing I implied on that post.

I don’t think the BC version performs any better at low amplitude (talking about the last few days) not sure though.

Also I’m more agreeing with you, drastic changes likely at the tail end of MJO phase diagram plots. So it’s a good thing.

I don’t think the BC version performs any better at low amplitude.

Also I’m more agreeing with you, drastic changes likely at the tail end of MJO phase diagram plots. So it’s a good thing.

Your taking these MJO forecast to literally. EPS and GEFS are going to have large spread...though if that was your point then we are on the same page. My point and only point is the GEFSBC has trended less amp in ph 5 over past few days

81737394-7E73-4CE5-9ADF-EF64EFF6F51E.gif838E24F0-AA44-439B-B29D-2D6CFD897E31.gifBEA422EF-0241-4D7E-AF67-940B9A854BBE.png

Your taking these MJO forecast to literally. EPS and GEFS are going to have large spread...though if that was your point then we are on the same page. My point and only point is the GEFSBC has trended less amp in ph 5 over past few days

View attachment 29131View attachment 29132View attachment 29133

I’m not taking them literally that’s my point. I think we are on the same page.

My point is it can ride the outside of that phase diagram and not enter phase 5 at all. Sorry if I’m not explaining myself correctly it’s early lol

Back