• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2017 Discussion

Here is the WPC's 7th day for snow/sleet. If the models trend colder, that area will likely shift southeast, which would make us all happy.
prbww_sn25_DAY7.gif

NorthGAWinterWx link said:
I think there would be more overrunning west of the apps rather than along the apps or east of the apps. That's why we see higher totals west of the apps on the models. Because west of the apps will be in that colder sector while east of the apps, the SER would still be hanging on.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
No. The more consolidated and stronger this system is the more likely it is to be northwest. If you want snow  to see the snow line farther south you want the system to trend a little slower and a little weaker.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

From HSV:
The constantly reinforced
cold airmass will create a wintry precipitation scenario as several
weak undulations within the prevailing southwesterly flow provide
forcing combined with mid-level saturation overrunning this airmass.

Though it is difficult to ascertain the timing of this wintry
precipitation, have incorporated at least a mix of freezing rain,
ice pellets, and snow for the Wednesday night through Friday time
frame. The airmass appears to be reinforced at least once, but the
other complication is that the surface freezing line is either close
to or atop the TN Valley. With this area in the transition zone, the
forecast for wintry precip will become even that more difficult. The
one thing that does continue to be a common denominator is the
following: expect a significant and prolonged (few days) much below
normal temperature event coupled with the possibility for wintry
precip.

ATLWxFan link said:
[quote author=NorthGAWinterWx link=topic=60.msg4771#msg4771 date=1483104508]
I think there would be more overrunning west of the apps rather than along the apps or east of the apps. That's why we see higher totals west of the apps on the models.

Would a more consolidated system give more opportunity for I-20 and I-85 folks to get some accumulation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Yes, along and north of I-20, I-85 would get more snow from the consolidated system. NW GA and NE GA would get overrunning then some winter wx from the consolidated system if there will be one.

[quote author=ATLWxFan link=topic=60.msg4772#msg4772 date=1483104738]
I think there would be more overrunning west of the apps rather than along the apps or east of the apps. That's why we see higher totals west of the apps on the models.

Would a more consolidated system give more opportunity for I-20 and I-85 folks to get some accumulation?

[/quote]
Yes, along and north of I-20, I-85 would get more snow from the consolidated system. NW GA and NE GA would get overrunning then some winter wx from the consolidated system if there will be one.

[/quote]
there is no guarantee that i20 would see snow from a consolidated low in fact if the low wrapped up too much it would most likely yank inland some.  I live along i20 , I for sure as hell don't want a true low. give me overrunning  all day everyday.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=NorthGAWinterWx link=topic=60.msg4777#msg4777 date=1483105604]

[/quote]

[/quote]
there is no guarantee that i20 would see snow from a consolidated low in fact if the low wrapped up too much it would most likely yank inland some.  I live along i20 , I for sure as hell don't want a true low. give me overrunning  all day everyday.

[/quote]
And twice on Sunday!!?
Anyway, s it looks now from overnight Euro and para GFS, I would be excited in N MS, N AL, N GA, looks like y'all could do better than the Carolinas! Long way to go

Re: January 2017 Discussion

Tarheel1 link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=60.msg4779#msg4779 date=1483106255]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
And twice on Sunday!!?
Anyway, s it looks now from overnight Euro and para GFS, I would be excited in N MS, N AL, N GA, looks like y'all could do better than the Carolinas! Long way to go
[/quote]
I agree , long way to go with this. way too many people giving up ( especially  georgia folks). way too much over analysing ( much of which does not even make meteorological sense ) ......

If you live in Georgia, Sc, and NC...there is no way you wanna see a wrapped up low...only if you enjoy cold rain

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Anyone East, South, and about 100 mi  north of a true low would end up screwed. Really only people who would benefit is on the Nothwest quadrant, while the west side would have to wait until the low passes to transition to snow or a mix

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Storm5 link said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I can understand that cause I live north of I-20 as well. The consolidated system may not even pull too far inland. We don't know that yet cause the models aren't picking up that consolidated low yet...well they are it's just not defined.

[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=60.msg4779#msg4779 date=1483106255]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I can understand that cause I live north of I-20 as well. The consolidated system may not even pull too far inland. We don't know that yet cause the models aren't picking up that consolidated low yet...well they are it's just not defined.

[/quote]
The models aren't hinting at a strong low because the height gradient in the east tightens which shears the western shortwave thus you get this low amplitude look. There are 2 ways in this look to get a stronger low First is a phased scenario where it's 100% depending on timing of the phase as to who gets rain or snow. The second option is what we saw with the 12z runs yesterday where the heights are more relaxed and there is the ability to have a stronger low pressure and room for amplification. The problem with this is it gives the SER the ability to push back and biases everything north.

You don't need a strong low here to generate a good amount of precipitation. The moist southwest flow aloft over top the air mass already in play will do well at generating precip. The addition of any energy from the west will act to enhance moisture plumes at times.  The good thing about this look is horizontal temperature advection is kept at a minimum so we aren't likely to have a blazing warm nose aloft

The models aren't hinting at a strong low because the height gradient in the east tightens which shears the western shortwave thus you get this low amplitude look. There are 2 ways in this look to get a stronger low First is a phased scenario where it's 100% depending on timing of the phase as to who gets rain or snow. The second option is what we saw with the 12z runs yesterday where the heights are more relaxed and there is the ability to have a stronger low pressure and room for amplification. The problem with this is it gives the SER the ability to push back and biases everything north.

You don't need a strong low here to generate a good amount of precipitation. The moist southwest flow aloft over top the air mass already in play will do well at generating precip. The addition of any energy from the west will act to enhance moisture plumes at times.  The good thing about this look is horizontal temperature advection is kept at a minimum so we aren't likely to have a blazing warm nose aloft

Oh be still my beating heart, the slightest possibility of a winter event without a blazing warm nose..... can it be?  Do those still exist? Lol  Great explanation by the way 

Storm5 link said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
While I like all snow a Consolidated low would more then likely cut on us...

As far as gulf lows are concerned, I found only three sub 1000 mb lows since the late 1800's that gave Atlanta 3.5+" of SN/IP. One was the ~977 mb 3/1993 blizzard, which was a very rare storm that gave major snow after a changeover from rain that occurred before it passed. The other two lows were in the high 990's.
For the remaining 30 something major SN/IP, the lowest pressure while in the gulf was 1000+. The average is not too far from 1010 mb and a few were as high as near 1020 mb. So, the best chance is from a weak low/overrunning. Some of the biggest SN/IP in Atlanta were from very weak lows (1015+).
  The track is almost always through either SE GA or north FL though a few went through central FL. Actually, that is also a common track for many of the big well inland AL/NC/SC big snows as well.

Back