• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

January 11th-12th Southern Slider

The best southern snows are often surprises. I remember we were supposed to get very little in Dec 2017 and ended up with 8".
Biggest surprise I remember was March 24, 1983 in Atlanta, when an ULL tracked across . Went to bed with forecast of moderate rain, and woke to 7.9" of snow (2nd heaviest in Atlanta)

A lot of the schools around here are running on a two hour delay tomorrow morning and they have treated Highway 72 from here to the Mississippi state line. I’m guessing most of the major roads have been treated but I haven’t been out much.

A lot of the schools around here are running on a two hour delay tomorrow morning and they have treated Highway 72 from here to the Mississippi state line. I’m guessing most of the major roads have been treated but I haven’t been out much.
Interstate 65 has been treated in North Alabama..

[FROM ALDOT] Winter weather may create hazards

HUNTSVILLE — The Alabama Department of Transportation advises motorists to expect
snowfall early Monday that could result in accumulation around half an inch, primarily in parts of northwest and west-central Alabama.

While ALDOT is hard at work pretreating lanes of interstates and other primary highways in the areas forecasted to be affected, potentially hazardous conditions may exist on some roadways during and after the anticipated winter weather event. ALDOT will continue to monitor conditions and treat highways and bridges as needed during and after the event.

Motorists are encouraged to use extreme caution while driving, check road conditions before departing, allow for increased travel times, and adjust arrival and departure times accordingly.

Motorists needing information on road conditions in Alabama should look to local news media and visit ALGOtraffic.com or download the ALGO Traffic app available online in the Apple App Store and on Google Play, as well as following ALGOtraffic on Twitter.

Motorists should never text, tweet, or use a mobile device while operating a vehicle. Appropriate driving speeds are determined by the road conditions, which on wet or icy roads should be slower than the posted speed limit.

Motorists should slow down and move over if possible when
approaching ALDOT and other highway maintenance personnel and emergency vehicles at work.
Drivers should stay in lanes that have been treated or cleared, as attempting to pass in uncleared lanes may lead to crashes and blocked roadways.

The public is encouraged to check with their local county or municipality for conditions on county and local roadways. It’s also important to stay weather-aware by monitoring the news and the
National Weather Service in your area for the latest weather information.

Back