• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Jan 8-11 2024 System Severe

The GFS has an almost identical setup to this storm on Friday night and Saturday morning. May need another severe thread for that one. Ouch. We've got to get rid of these 975 mb lows forming over the panhandle of TX.

I know these wind gust maps are always too high but goodness, the gfs showing hurricane force gust imby. Wow!
12k nam.also has a wind maximum over the coastal plains especially the central northern spots.

The 3k radar depiction is concerning with plenty of cells ahead of the front along I95

Anyone think we are going to see some school closures or early dismissals on Tuesday? Flooding rains and high winds with a high possibility of downed trees and power outages doesn’t seem safe for buses and unnecessary travel.

Last edited:
12k nam.also has a wind maximum over the coastal plains especially the central northern spots.

The 3k radar depiction is concerning with plenty of cells ahead of the front along I95
I saw a couple of PDS tor soundings on the 12z NAM. It had marginal tor soundings back my way with basically 0 CAPE. If for some reason the sun makes it out somewhere they will have a rough time of it with even more CAPE.

Anyone think we are going to see some school closures or early dismissals on Tuesday? Flooding rains and high winds with a high possibility of downed trees and power outages doesn’t seem safe for buses and unnecessary travel.
Got 3 educators on the family tree , they been asking me when's ever gonna snow? I told em this morning weather may have found another way to get them a day off this Tuesday. They dismiss for Trop storm conditions. This will have more punch for us by far imo.

Got 3 educators on the family tree , they been asking me when's ever gonna snow? I told em this morning weather may have found another way to get them a day off this Tuesday. They dismiss for Trop storm conditions. This will have more punch for us by far imo.
That’s what I was thinking.

GSP has wind gusts to 47mph right in my point forecast for Tuesday. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen them go that high on a point forecast when there’s not a tropical system involved. Some school systems closing on Tuesday due to high wind potential is a very real possibility

Back