• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 3-4 2024 System

I must say the radar looks really solid all way back to MS and definitely further north and so far the Gulf Convection hasn't really factored as much as models had shown so upstream isn't getting choked off... Still alot to develop over next 4-5 hours for parts of East Alabama and West parts of Georgia alot going to depending on how much can get temp crash will take a good slug of rain not sure it's got enough puch even with the extra moisture

Now down to 1000 feet but precip is light. Bhm is now down to 1000 and should reach within the hour..same with mxx.. Looks like there is a band of sleet..at least aloft..in central ga. Based on macons radar its probably reaching the ground. Hrrr continues to get wetter.

Quite a temp bust on the hrrr. Prior runs had temps in the low to mid 40s in Alabama by now..instead its in the mid to upper 30s. Its running about 2 to 5 degrees cooler in ga vs prior runs.been stuck at 45 here for an hour. It had my local getting to 53 last night. Thats not going to happen with thickening clouds and top down cooling.
Camped out at 41/32 here for two hours. Grid forecast high was 47. No way we get there.

HRRR each run keeps inching closer and closer to a band of decent heavy snow for parts of E. Alabama and West GA north of I-20 its been getting going a little sooner and larger each run... who knows

View attachment 139879
Glenn Burns issues a frizzard warning
44 27dp not sure its going to work out but i bet we have something for the kids to look at. My youngest has never seen snow falling

HRRR each run keeps inching closer and closer to a band of decent heavy snow for parts of E. Alabama and West GA north of I-20 its been getting going a little sooner and larger each run... who knows

View attachment 139879
Hrrr at 12z has gone from literally zero precip to widespread .10 to even a max of .30 in ne al on the 17z r. It still looks underdone based on radar toward Atlanta

Glenn Burns issues a frizzard warning
44 27dp not sure its going to work out but i bet we have something for the kids to look at. My youngest has never seen snow falling
I see no real reason rain/snow mix or better doesn't extend east toward athens. There is an elevation difference but since temps are running behind guidance it seems at least possible. Even now the 17z hrrr shows my local getting to 50. Its still 45. Which means a slightly colder boundary layer. Hope it pans out.

Hrrr at 12z has gone from literally zero precip to widespread .10 to even a max of .30 in ne al on the 17z r. It still looks underdone based on radar toward Atlanta

I see no real reason rain/snow mix or better doesn't extend east toward athens. There is an elevation difference but since temps are running behind guidance it seems at least possible. Even now the 17z hrrr shows my local getting to 50. Its still 45. Which means a slightly colder boundary layer. Hope it pans out.
Yeah Dallas GA projected high was like 52 made it to 43 and should be going down from here over next few hours and when precip reaches

Back